Chapter 64

Natasha's pov:

We arrive downtown and we take our seats in the coffee shop where we decided to meet him. Now all we have to do is wait for him. We're a little early.

"We're meeting Alexi here." I tell Clint who is sitting close next to me.

"The guy who threatened Pepper? Your ex?" He needs the confirmation.

"Yep. He wanted to talk and I want info on Hydra. I wanna see what they're up to. That's what we're here to discuss. It's kind of a win win." I say.

"Isn't it risky? Even for the two of us?" Clint asks.

"Of course a little bit, but think about it. We're in a crowded area and we are readily armed. He is only bringing one other person with him, so the teams will be even. If they draw weapons, which they wont, so will we. Neither of us are here to fight." I explain simply.

"...Ok, I trust you." He says slightly reluctantly.

"Thanks. I'm reckless, but I'm not an idiot. I know what I'm doing." I take a sip of my coffee.

A familiar tall redhead walks in with a smaller, but beefy man at his side. He doesn't seem of any importance. They come and sit down with us at the table as soon as they see us.

"Glad you didn't bring the asset again. I was getting bored of him." Alexi purrs.

"I didn't do it for you, he simply didn't want to come." I correct him.

"Didn't want to come?" He arches an eyebrow.

"That's correct. My sharpshooter friend Clint came instead. He never misses." I gesture to Clint, who was trying to look as serious as possible.

He doesn't say a word, he only nods in agreement. I half expected him to say 'damn straight'. He must really want to impress them, if he's willing to keep his damn mouth shut and a straight face after receiving a compliment. From me, especially.

"...Well, I came to talk about a proposition I had for you, Natalia." Alexi folds his hands on the table.

"I am aware. Something you need me for. For Hydra." I predidct what he was going to say.

Clint glares at me. I can't tell what he is thinking.

"I forget how you read minds, Natalia." He smiles.

"It's a natural talent. Either that or you're just predictable." I cock my head.

He pauses for a moment. I don't think he liked that.

"...If you come back to Hydra, we wont bother the avengers anymore, or the asset." He sets down the deal.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"I mean, If you agree to come back to Hydra, we will leave the avengers alone. No more fighting, no pestering. We will forget they exist. As goes for the Winter Soldier." He says.

"...What about SHIELD?" I ask.

"We will not wage war with them unless they start it." He says.

"How can I know you aren't lying?" I ask.

"You really can't. You will just have to trust me, Natalia. And you should know, there isn't much Hydra wouldn't do to get back our best widow. You want to protect SHIELD and the Avengers, no?" He says.

"No deal." Clint speaks before I can say anything.

"Clint, at least let me think about it. I mean, really. Losing one member of the avengers, and the war with Hydra stops." I say.

"We aren't sacrificing you for a peace that could only be temporary." He says.

"...You're right. Who knows how long that peace could last." I say.

"Damn straight. And also, that would put SHIELD in a really bad spot, with Agent Romanoff on the opposing side." Clint points out.

"True. At least we addressed it. No deal, Alexi." I look bad at the big redhead.

He looks subtly angry.

"Are you sure about this, Natalia? Think about SHIELD. Think about the Avengers. Think about the last Winter Soldier. Do you know how much he is worth?" He asks.

"Yes. I know his worth. He is worth more to us, to me, than you could ever know." I say.

"I mean money, Natalia. Do you know how much money was spent on the Winter Soldier project? It was thousands, Natalia. He is worth millions. Do you know how many people want him? What would you do if they got him?" Alexi points out.

"I'd take him back." I answer flatly.

"Do you know how much you're worth?" He says.

"...No." I say.

"Millions. You are the worlds greatest weapon ever created." He responds.

"Too bad we work for SHIELD then, isn't it?" I cock my head.

"You can protect SHIELD, Natalia. You can protect the last Winter Soldier. All we ask for in return is the last Black Widow." He persuades.

"I told you, no deal. She is worth so much more to us than she will ever be to you." Clint snaps.

"Why do you want me so bad?" I ask for the information I've been wanting all this time.

"...Because you were our last functional Black Widow agent."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"We've been trying to make more after your disappearance, but they keep failing. The new generations of Black Widows are all unstable. It's the Winter Soldier project all over again. They can fight, they can manipulate, they can hack, but they can keep their mind on lock. They break out crying during fights when they break a bone, and then they stop fighting. And yet, they don't stop fighting when it's the trainers. They get themselves killed by doing that. It's getting ridiculous. You where never like that. You would cry, but you would keep fighting until you won. That's why you were the asset's favorite. You were so determined to win, so you never lost. You excelled in every test. You never gave up. You didn't let stab or bullet wounds hold you back from victory. From finishing the mission. You never let empathy hold you back from killing a man. You knew all you had to do was pull the trigger. They don't seem to come out like you, anymore. They are all too sensitive. They're too weak. We can't seem to get any more like you." He explains.

I don't respond to him. I take a moment to process what he just said.

They're making more Black Widows already.

"We tried to make a new batch of Winter Soldiers too. Those ones had to be terminated too. They always come out mentally unstable. Barnes was our only truly successful Winter Soldier."

They tried to make new Winter Soldiers too? What are they up to?

"Why did you need more Winter Soldiers?" I ask.

"Well, Natalia, what did we use the Winter Soldiers for?" He asks.

"...That's why you've been making more Black Widows too. Why is there anyone on your hit list right now? Who could possibly be in your way?" I ask.

"I didn't come here to read out our kill list, Natalia." He arches an eyebrow.

"Right." I sigh and roll my eyes.

That's alright, I got all the information I really need anyway.

"Clint, we need to get going. Bucky is going to be pissed." I stand up.

"Are you sure, no deal?" Alexi raises his eyebrows.

"Positive." Clint stands too.

"...Fine." I can see the rage fuming inside him.

Me and Clint leave, now that we have the info we needed.

The car ride home was full of laughter and nervous tension, as we feared how Bucky would react when we got home. I'll just have to tell him that everything went great, and that he needs to have a little more faith in me. This is gonna be fun.