Chapter 88: A Search and Rescue for a Spider

Bucky's pov:

Now I just can't stop thinking about it. I have to ask. I dial the number on my phone and wait for it to pick up.

"Barnes, what could you possibly need right now? It's 9:30." Fury complains.

"I wanna know what mission you gave Natasha." I say.

Clint and Steve turn their attention to me, so I put Nick on speaker for them.

"What are you talking about." Fury asks.

"Yesterday, Natasha left. She told us that you gave her a mission. I asked where she was going, she said the info was classified. I need to know what mission you gave her, I don't care if it's classified." I explain.

"...I never gave Romanoff a mission. She hasn't had a mission in weeks." Fury snaps.

"That's why I asked. I knew she was being suspicious." I shake my head.

"Barnes, I have to go. They need me. Find Romanoff." He ends the call.

"Goddammit. I knew she ran away again." I sigh and put my head in my hands.

"Why don't you call her. See if she's ok. Hydra's really been on her case recently, so we have to make sure she's safe." Clint says.

"Fuck! I didn't even think about Hydra." I dial Natasha.

She's in some big fucking trouble for giving me a damn heart attack.

Natasha's pov:

I wake up to the sound of my phone ringing. I pick up without looking at the number.

"New phone, who dis?" I grumble.

"Guess who." I hear a grumpy voice on the other line.

"Hmmm. Hey Barnes. Lemme, guess. You talked to Nick." I assume.

"Damn straight I did. He never gave you a mission. Where are you and what are you doing?" He asks.

"I spent the night in a motel. Just woke up." I answer.

"Real specific. Be more exact. I mean x y and z coordinates." He says.

"Don't you think there's a reason I never told you where I was going? Leave me here. I'll be back, don't worry. I'm not leaving forever, you know." I arch an eyebrow.

"It's not safe."

"When is the life of a spy ever safe, Barnes?"

"Safer with us than out there. When do you plan on coming back?" He asks.

"When I feel like it. Probably 2-3 weeks. Not sure yet. Maybe a little sooner." I guess.

"Not soon enough. I'm coming to get you." He says.

"No you're not."

"Why not?"

"Not safe." I answer with deep description and detail.

"Why not?" He asks again.

"I'm kinda dangerous to be around right now. Why do you think I left the tower? I'm going to hurt someone. Give me time to cool down, and I'll come back when it's safe ok?"

"You're not dangerous. You're coming home now. Ridiculous." He scolds.

"I am, James! Remember that time I almost killed Clint?" I argues.

"You just need help, and you're too stubborn to ask for it. I'm coming over. Give me your coordinates." He demands.

"No. I'm not about to risk hurting you. I almost killed a guy last night, James!" I retort.

"What? You attacked a man last night? Why? When? What happened?" He panics.

"9 last night, I pulled into the motel. Man tried to assault me. I beat the shit out of him." I say.

"Nat! I told you it wasn't safe! A dude tried to assault you! Tell me where you are, now." He snaps.

"You're missing the point, James! I hurt him! Badly! He deserved it, but it was still uncontrolled! I'm dangerous! Just- just give me a little time. I don't want to risk hurting anyone." I sigh.

"I am the worlds most feared assassin, Natalia. You wont hurt me. Trust me." He assures me.

"No." I end the call.

I need to get out of here. He's going to have Tony track me somehow. I'll leave this motel tomorrow. I can stay another night here. It wont be easy for Tony to find me. His tech is good, but it's not that good.

I get out of bed and prepare for the day. Lipstick, hair brush, we know the drill. After that, I head down to the gas station just down the street. I buy a few bottles of vodka, a bag of chips and a coffee for breakfast, and a pack of gum. I ate the bad of chips and drank the coffee in the cafe section of the gas station. After that, I widow shop through the little town I stumbled upon.

A few hours later, I head back to the motel. I pull into the front parking lot and step out of the car. I silently thank myself for bringing my duffel bag with me when I hear someone in my room.

"Guys, she's not here!" I hear Clint from upstairs in my room.

They're here faster than expected. I look back at Bucky through the window of his car, and he's staring back at me with an arched eyebrow. Tony grins at me from the drivers seat.

"Clint, we found her!" Tony calls.

Clint rushes to the railing and looks down on us.

"Hey Nat!" He beams at me.

I look back at Bucky, then step back in my car. I shut the door and pull out.

"Clint, get in the car! We've got a runner!" Tony gets excited.

I speed away.