Chapter 134: The Wires

Disclaimer: This chapter is not canon to this story, and was just made for fun lol.

Trigger Warning: Angst, subjects of trauma, suicide, and torture.

I actually like this chapter and how it turned out, so I hope you do too :)

Natasha's pov:

When he remains silent after my knocking, I open the door.

"Bucky?"

It takes me a moment to find him in the darkness of his room, but eventually I see him sitting on his bed. He's faced away from me, slumped over just a bit. I quietly shut the door behind me, so not disturb him too much.

"Bucky?"

He remains silent. The room is cold and dark, with a little bit of moisture in the air. It reminds me of a cave. The room is overflowing with shadows and dark thoughts, I can't stand it. Why is he sitting in here to soak in it?

Now I see it.

Now I see them.

The wires. They're everywhere. Steel wires draped throughout the room, covering the walls, floor and ceiling. Long, nonexistent wires. The wires are coiled around him. He's trapped. The wires of insanity and trauma. The wires of misfortune and abuse. The wires of ancient grief and despair. The wires of something long lost and forgotten. The wires of something that once was.

"James."

"...What?" He speaks in a low raspy voice.

I walk around, stepping through the mess of metal wires on the floor so we can meet eyes. His eyes are a steel as cold the wires that are wrapped around him right now.

"What's going on?"

As he tries to speak, he's looking for the words, but they just won't come out. As he tries to think of an answer, the wires coil around him a little more tightly. Now he's just focused on not suffocating under their grip.

"James, please. Talk to mean. I don't want to see you like this."

"...You should leave." His words are heavily strained and he fights the steel snakes.

"I have to help you."

I get on one knee and rest a gentle hand on his thigh.

"Get out."

"I'm going to help you."

"You can't. Get out." He clenches his jaw.

"Talk to me."

The light inside dies with every second wasted. He needs a savior, and he needs it now.

"Bucky, please. Don't push me away. Take my help."

"You effort will be in vain."

"No, because I have to help you."

He's holding a glock at his side for protection. His weapons are the only protection he knows. He trusts his gun more than he trusts me. I guess this is what 70 years of brainwashing and torture does to a man.

"I'm too far gone. Get out."

"No!"

"Now!"

"James Buchanan Barnes, I'm not leaving you in this mess!"

"Get out! I'm not your problem!"

"Yes, you are!"

"No, I'm not! Leave, now!"