Chapter-2

Sona shut her eyes tight waiting for whip to strike her body, it wasn't something new. Whenever her father traveled, Netra vented her frustration on Sona. She willingly took it save her brother younger to her by six years from Netra's wrath.

Sona waited for the pain to strike her body, she was prepared. She knew it but somewhere it always it pained a little more than the last time. There  was a lash sound but she didn't feel a thing. She slowly opened her eyes to find Dev shielding her, he stood with his back to his mother, holding Sona against the wall between his muscular arms. He smiled at her affectionately, she couldn't understand why he always stood for her. They had a strange bond, she never spoke to him and he cared for her with his life.

''Dev, are you hurt?'' Netra's voice came pained. He straightened and turned to face his mother, ''No, because I am done hurting.'' He looked over his shoulder, ''Go to your room Sona.'' She obliged without a word but stood behind the wall to hear the conversation between the mother and son. For years she had been looking for one way to get rid of them.

''Why do you keep saving her?'' Netra asked caressing the whip mark

''Why do you keep hurting her?'' He questioned his mother back

''If we need power, we need to imbibe fear in people around.''

''Why do one has to rule their own? And if you wish to, rule the heart!'' Dev's words made Sona smile. This wasn't the first conversation she had overheard, and every time he proved had his heart wasn't as black as his mother's.

Netra stared at her son, ''Your weak heart will make us suffer some day. I wish you were more like your father and grandfather.''

He smiled, pointing to the fresh bruise he replied, ''If you meant this, I am glad I am not. And for the last time, leave Sona alone.''

''She isn't our blood!''

''She is my sister, that's what matters to me.'' He walked out finishing the discussion.

Dev stood opposite to the mirror staring the bruise, the whip had taken a layer of skin with it when he was wearing a tshirt. He was thankful about being there on time, he didn't wanted to imagine how hard it would have been for the little girl he loved dearly. He was sure, one day she would respond to his unconditional affection. He had stopped feeling the pain long ago but he had to nurse it stop it from turning deep.

''This will help...OH I am sorry.'' Sona immediately turned away finding him just in tracks

''God girl, learn to knock.'' He too felt little embarrassed.

''Apply this, it has a soothing effect.'' She placed a bowl of paste on the table, her back still to him.

''You care for your brother.'' He asked with a smile on his face

''For the nth time....you are no one to me, and this is just because I don't want to feel obliged by your kindness.''

He suddenly felt numb, ''I am not obliging you!'' He huffed, ''Just consider my gesture as a small repayment towards the affection your family showered on me. Please leave me alone.'' Sona knew she bruised him bad, without turning she left. Her heart heavy with guilt, She looked at her watch, it was time for her to go to her friend's place for group study. She had her boards coming up, and wanted to do well. How she wished to be a normal middle class girl who could just think of a dreamy career but her father didn't like it. According to him, he had enough to lead a life of luxury. Only if he knew, she just wanted to break away from everything.

***

''Oh my god, its 9! I should leave,Dad would be pissed off and I didn't get my vehicle.'' Sona told her friend who looked surprised at her sudden fear