Chapter 67

''Please, don't paint me yellow.'' Dev pleaded to each one who stood grinning for their chance to apply turmeric paste on him. Yet, his words fell on deaf ears as his aunts, elders and even Jyothi rubbed the paste all over his face. 

''Not you Sona.'' He pleaded and she royally ignored taking her time to paint his face and arms while all others laughed. Dipika stepped forward, she took some paste in her fingers watching Dev with adoration. If she had a normal life? If her parents were as loving as the others in the world? May be what she felt now would be different. She brushed her fingers on his cheek. ''May the universe fill your life with all possible blessings.'' Dev leaned and hugged his aunt, painting her yellow. A faint memory of a small Dev came back to her mind. She had flown back home from London, to be a part of Dev's first birthday. He had gone all naughty on his parents and created a disaster with his food all over him. As his mother exclaimed, he had quickly crawled off to Dipika for shelter, to be snatched away next moment. 

Opening her eyes, she pecked the top of his head. She was happy that she had someone in her maternal family to call her own. She knew, Suryagarh estate was once again going to be the richest one. It had a King with a heart and the queen with a mind. 

Neelambari pinched his nose as she was the last one to do the ritual. ''Remember this Dev, you are not alone. We are there, and will always be there''

He grinned wide but got scolded when tried hugging her. His aunts carried a huge vessel asking him to sit in the open area of the foyer. Dev shivered when cold water came down from his head to tow. ''Did you guys add ice to this.'' His aunts giggled patting his head when one of them responded. ''We decided to get the lake water. In olden time, the water used for the ritual came from the river or the well of the very house.''

Dev Shivered  as Neelambari covered him with a light cloth. ''Go and take bath, priest will be here for next ritual.'' He walked off quickly as his family teased him. He shook his head as Sagar argued on his behalf asking the family to back off.

***

 As Dev behaved like a good boy, Rathore family decided to take precaution during the same ritual as it involved their naughty Princess. Ananya laughed as Raina walked in all covered in a rain coat. Rolli's jaw dropped, till now she hadn't allowed any of her family or relatives to walk away without the patches of turmeric on their faces but Raina outsmarted her with her move. She had taken additional precaution by covering her face with mask and glasses.

Raina applied the paste on Rolli's cheek winking at her elder sister. ''Smart move.''

''Thank you! '' Raina battered her lashes walking way.

''Rolli, step into this tub.'' Raksha asked as the staff placed a huge brass tub. The Princess stepped in as the her family gathered around to pour the scented water on her. Rolli smiled sweetly stepping in and taking her seat. Raina hopped around to be a part of the ritual but got pulled down by her sister, as others poured water on Rolli. ''You are so mad.'' Raina chided Rolli as water came down on her.

''You shouldn't have removed the protective shield.'' Raina somehow freed her form, stomping she ran away. ''You will never change.'' Ananya twisted her ears warning her to behave

''I love to be the best mom.'' He candid Response made Ananya smile, Ranvijay's daughter. Shivangi Rathore placed a stole around her beloved grand daughter. ''Don't irritate your husband like that.''

''That's his issue, I am not changing for anyone.'' As Rolli stepped out  her male cousins dispersed as if she was some kind of evil. When it came to her, they decided to trust their own instincts. 

As evening approached, the family and friends gathered to bless the Rathore girl for her mehendi.  

''This is the right moment, now we can extract all revenges on her.Let's pull her cheeks hard once her hands are covered in Mehendi.'' Vansh suggested. Three pair of eyes looked at him as if he gave the worst idea. ''You know what she did during the Haldi? This one can never be on the vulnerable side. If you even touch her, she will make sure you have heena all over your face.'' Raina concluded