chapter 23!

Brayden's POV

Leah, Emery and I were all sitting around a campfire in Leah's backyard.

"So someone's seriously trying to kill you?" Leah asked, still in shock.

"Yeah, luckily I have Corbyn. I don't know what I'd do without him," I said.

"He's so good to you. He's actually in love with you, it's so obvious," Emery said.

"I wouldn't say he loves me, but okay," I said.

Leah rolled her eyes.

"Now what you and Daniel have," I said pointing to Leah. "And what you and Zach have," I said pointing to Emery. "That's love," I said.

"Love can be shown in different ways. Corbyn happens to show his love protectively," Leah said, making a good point. Emery nodded her head in agreement.

Suddenly Daniel walked over to Leah with a sign that said "Why don't we go to prom?!" He was holding roses and Leah stood up and ran to give him a hug.

"So will you go to prom with me?" Daniel asked.

"Of course!" Leah said.

Then Zach came up to Emery.

"Are you a fart because you'll blow me away at prom," Zach said with a smirk.

Emery started laughing.

"Why can't you ask me in a normal way like Daniel?" She asked.

"Because I know you'll say yes either way," Zach said sticking his arms out for a hug.

"I'll go to prom with you but your an idiot," Emery said hugging him and smiling.

I sat there... by myself... kind of hoping Corbyn would come out an ask me but that's unlikely. They all looked at me with sympathy.

"I'm sure Corbyn will ask you," Daniel said.

"Yeah, I know he will," Zach said, trying to make me feel better.

I gave them a doubtful look.

"Thanks guys, for always being so nice, but we all know he isn't going to ask me. And I guess that's okay," I said walking towards the house.

I sat down in Leah's room on a bean bag and sulked. I think I'm falling for Corbyn, and I mean it this time.

I heard someone approaching me, it was Jonah.

"Hey Brayden, is there anything I can do to cheer you up?" Jonah asked.

"I'm not sure," I said.

"Corbyn was never the dance type anyways, so don't take it personally. He's never asked a girl to a dance so if he does ask you, consider it a huge compliment," Jonah said softly.

"Thanks Jonah," I said smiling at him.

"Let's go out there with everyone. It's a lot more fun then being by ourselves," he said pulling me out of the bean bag.

I walked back outside with Jonah and they all cheered when they saw me, causing me to laugh.

•••

The next day I woke up to a text from Corbyn.

Corbyn: Meet me at the greenhouse, I have something to ask you.

Brayden: Ok, I'm coming over right now.

Was he going to ask me to prom finally? I hope so.

I drove to the greenhouse and walked inside, having nostalgia but not a good kind.

Corbyn wasn't in the greenhouse which was weird. I decided to sit down on the couch and wait.

Suddenly, I saw some plants rustling in the far corner and Jordan came out from behind the bushes.

"You're not Corbyn," I said, confused.

"But you're Brayden," Jordan said walking up to me.

"Why would you text me on Corbyn's phone?" I asked, suddenly feeling uncomfortable.

"How else would I get you here?" he asked.

I didn't respond. When he wasn't looking I quickly texted Jonah my location and he said Corbyn and him were on their way.

"Have you said bye to your family and friends?" Jordan asked me walking closer.

"What do you mean?" I asked standing up.

"Nothing, it's better that I don't tell you," he said.

Right then my heart stopped, he's in on it too. He's going to try and kill me. I froze which is ironic because what I needed to do was run. My body was in shock, to the extent where I could barley move.

Are these my last moments? I guess we never know how close or far our death date is. I wish I knew sooner, I would have told my family I loved them and I would've spent time with my friends. I would have held Corbyn so tight and told him I loved him too. I always believed that no matter how hard you try to escape death, it finds you. If it is my fate to die now, then it will happen.

Things were happening slowly, I tried running, I did. I've never felt this afraid in my life. I don't want to die but my body sure is acting like it because I couldn't seem to escape the greenhouse.

Things moved even slower when I saw Jonah and Corbyn pull up in a car and run into the greenhouse.

Jordan pulls out his gun, Jonah and Corbyn are running towards me, my legs are glued. Jordan hovers his finger over the trigger, Jonah and Corbyn run faster. I take my last few moments to admire Corbyn. His bright blue eyes and mysterious smile. The way he looks when he does something he's passionate about. Watching him run towards me, his hair flopping, I don't feel so scared, I'm focused on him.

Jordan pulls the trigger and somehow I can see the bullet spiraling towards me. I then close my eyes, waiting to feel the impact, nothing happens. I hear a scream come from Corbyn.