chapter 55!

[ Corbyn's POV ]

I stand there, over Brayden, over Ray. Unsure if I should break down or hug her. She's here but he's dying. This is where things get ironic. I don't even like my father, I hate him. Yet, as I'm standing here watching him have his last moments, I still feel emotions. I still feel as someone would if they lost their father.

"D-Dad?" I scream and run over to him. "Dad. Dad. DAD." Brayden's staring at him with a horrified expression. I give her a dirty look and turn my attention back to Ray. "Dad?" I say in a whisper.

"C-Corbyn." I nod my head waiting for him to say something else. "I'm sorry," he struggles to say. When he says this to me, a section of my heart that was filled with hatred, warmed up. The ice thawed, I no longer hated me father. But it was too late.

"What did you do Brayden?" I scream.

"He was going to kill me. I didn't have a choice," she said, shaking. I knew this was true, deep inside I wasn't really mad at her. I was mad at myself.

"That doesn't make this right," I yell, tears dripping down my face.

"I know. I know," she said, sitting up, rubbing her head from the impact earlier.

"I didn't even get to tell him I loved him. Do I even love him?" I said, the tears coming faster.

"Come here, Corbyn," she said stretching out her arms. I ran towards her, I was a little more eager to touch her than I realized. I jumped into her arms, instantly feeling comforted. We cried together, as this was an emotional night. We cried until we couldn't. The silence of death encompassed the room. The air, thin with a feeling of despair radiating.

"What does this mean for us?" I ask silently, into her ear.

"I don't know," she said shaking her head.

"I'll always love you," I say holding her hand in mine. Her gaze goes towards me, I push her hair away from her eyes and stare into them. "Say something Brayden!" I say, feeling embarrassed about my moment of vulnerability.

"Promise you'll never leave me? Promise you'll never make us separate again?" She asked, tears forming in her eyes.

"Brayden, I tried leaving you and I could barely live without you, I'm never letting you go again," I said.

I ran my fingers through her hair and grabbed her face, pulling her lips towards mine. The death of my father, yes sad, but also liberating. The ending of my dad's story opens up a whole new chapter for Brayden and I. Today we embark on a new chapter of our love. Page 1.