chapter 36!

Corbyn's POV

I needed some time to think so I headed to the junkyard, I might as well work on Brayden's car with my free time.

I grabbed the broken door and started screwing it back on until it looked normal again. Next, I began to get under to car to fix its engine. Fixing the engine would take me at least a few days if I'm efficient.

No matter how much I distracted myself, Brayden never left my mind. Her voice echoing in my mind, I love you too. She's so captivating. I shook off the thought and continued fixing the engine.

When I felt I had done enough work, I closed up the building and left. As I walked back to Jonah's I saw Jordan roaming the streets, is he looking for me? I quickly ducked behind a cart and peeked out to spy on Jordan. He was walking towards the junkyard. Someone must have sent him to find me, someone like my father.

I quietly followed behind him as he tried to open the locked building. He groaned and turned around, I ran before he could spot me. They are looking for me.

I took a different way home to Jonah's, hopefully he won't find me.

"Hey Jonah," I said as I walked in, closing the door behind me.

"What's up?" He asked.

"They're out looking for me," I said, my tone sounding worried.

"Damn, their not going to kill you right?" He asked. I gave him a look that said are you crazy? "I mean you never know what to expect," Jonah added in.

"True, but I don't think they're going to kill me, I think it's something far worse," I said.

"Like what?" He asked.

"Torture me maybe," I said.

"Why would they torture you?" He asked.

"To get me to come back to the organization and eventually follow through with the original mission," I said. "I know my father and that's what he'll do."

"They're really not going to give up are they?" Jonah asked.

"Nope," I said with a sigh.

•••

It was the next morning as I got ready for school, I didn't even bother to do my hair today. Jonah drove us and I met Brayden at the front, she was with Alex.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey, you look rough this morning," she said laughing at my hair.

"I didn't feel like doing it, is it that bad?" I asked sighing.

"Actually, it's adorable," she said and gave me a kiss.

"I'll see you later," I said. She waved and walked away with Alex, talking and laughing.

I watched her and realized once she leaves she will move on. She will get over me, maybe start liking Alex. I should've known.

I walked to class lethargically, and didn't pay attention to anything that was said in class.

"Corbyn," my teacher said.

"What?" I asked annoyed.

"I need to talk to you after class," she said.

"Ok," I said.

After class was over I walked up to her desk.

"Corbyn, I'm worried about you. You're such a bright young man but you miss school frequently and don't pay attention when you are here. Is everything okay?" She asked.

"Yeah everything is fine. There's just so much going on, but I can handle it," I said.

"Ok, if I feel the need to, I will call your parents," she said.

"No need to do that, I'll start participating," I said.

"Ok. You're very intelligent, I'd hate to see your future thrown away," she said.

"It won't be. I promise," I said as I walked out of her classroom.

•••

I emailed Nova Tech, telling them I was interested and that I'd be attending. I almost didn't want to hit send, because once I did it all became real. I'd be leaving Brayden, and my life behind.