Chapter 32

Current date of story, 9th of December, a Thursday

Min-Ji had spent hours on her tablet and scribing in her notebook. She wasn't entirely happy with the lyrics, but to be honest, it was better than what she had expected. The backing track was still a little on the shaky side but it was slowly getting there, or at least that was what she was telling herself. She glanced at the time in the corner of her screen and gasped, it was already ten o'clock at night. With a grunt, she made her way to the bathroom and turned the shower on. She stripped herself out of her exercise clothing and hobbled into the shower, sighing with relief as the warm water soothed her sore and achy muscles.

Joshua and the group all collapsed to the floor. Hoshi screamed, "well done everyone! We're finally getting somewhere!" They had been at the new choreo all day, it certainly showed. Purple hues stained the skin under their eyes and sweat dripped from their steaming foreheads. The panting in the room was loud and a credit to their hard work. Park Jisang had made another appearance the day before and had spent a good five hours with them, wrecking their bodies and pushing them harder than he did last time. They were making headway with their debut song and had come up with a few possible names for the song. The stand out title being 'Adore-u'. The name was simple and certainly went with the song. Their deadline was ever so slowly approaching. Joshua fiddled with his ring and smiled a little. His phone and everyone else's sounded from their bags, all neatly placed near the studio's door. Vernon's the first one up. He unlocks his and smirks a little, "should of known they'd do something like this. Listen up y'all! Min-Ji's second challenge will be completed on Sunday at noon. She has to compose a song, and then we, Jonathan and the CEO vote."

"On what?" someone questions.

"Whether she stays or not, majority rules. They'll be another 3 rounds after that, if she passes."

Suengkwan mutters, "should have known it was too good to be true."

Joshua mutters back, "everything always is."

Later that night, Joshua lay awake with his phone help above his head, the screen letting off an eerie glow. He so desperately wanted to talk to her, but he couldn't.

*Flashback*

Jonathan mutters to Joshua, "don't message her until I say otherwise, got it?"

Joshua nods in return, a glum expression washing over his face.

*end of flashback*

Current date of story, the 12th of December, a Sunday

A few days later, Min-Ji was up at eight thirty. She showered for what felt like hours and loosened her still tense muscles. She got changed into black ripped jeans and a plain, pink and baggy sweatshirt and Doc Martins before laying her hair into neat and organised curls. She sat down and placed her guitar onto her lap and recalled the cords she had wrote days before. The music fills the empty apartment. She closes her eyes and moves her head as the music becomes apart of her. Her head aches from her unfortunate incident with the hospitals staircase, the concentration needed too much for her brain to handle. Music had become apart of her life from a young age since she was offered limited entertainment by her foster parents. Her 'father' took an interest in music. He had a study filled with various instruments and had an abundance of music paper for Min-Ji to fiddle and lean with. The violin was always her absolute favourite. With this kind of instrument she could truly express her feelings. She wasn't necessarily restricted in any way. With the bow she could play in big and overly dramatic and sweeping motions and could spin in circles, sending her hair into a frenzy of flame like shapes. She wondered if she should be using it for today's performance, however in her current state she would never get the same effect. She could try though, try as hard as she could to push through the almost blinding pain. She stood up and placed her injured foot onto the ground, gritting her teeth, but standing nonetheless. Slowly but surely, she walks over to the small desk in front of the opposite wall to retrieve her violin. Two steps, four, she places her hand onto the slick wood and pushes her weight to her left side, a sigh of relief. She could do this, she knew she could. It was a matter of whether or not her body would allow her to do so. She would practice now, in the last while she had before she needed to leave. She carefully unzipped the case but paused as a sudden burst of pain ripped the air from her lungs and caused her to cough. She took a moment to compose herself, "maybe I should just stick to the guitar and backing," she wheezed. She places a hand to her chest and closes her eyes, taking in slow breaths. She lets out a low laugh, "someday I'm going to end up killing myself on accident." She drops herself onto the floor and glances at the clock on the wall, "only a half hour left." Using the desk, she pulls herself up and heads to her room to prepare to leave, grabbing her crutches up from beside the couch.

Min-Ji waited in the reception area. She had her guitar out of its case, knelt in her lap. It was so busy in the large room that no one paid her any attention as she ran through her song one more time. If she was being honest, she didn't really need to be playing her guitar as well as singing, she had a backing all worked out with the help of several digital programs she had downloaded onto her tablet, initially for whenever she got bored. But this way she could show the group, who she assumed would be watching, how talented and serious she is about this opportunity. A figure approached her and looked down at her, "Jonathan!" she shouted in alarm.

"Morning flower, ready to go?"

She nods and hands him her crutches and walks beside him, hiding her pain. Jonathan just smiles in worry, saying nothing.

They arrive at Pledis and weave their way through the building before arriving at the studio at exactly twelve o'clock. She walks into the room with as much stability as possible. All eyes are on her as she approaches the group. Everyone smiles eagerly at her. Joshua approaches first, proceeded by the rest of them. No one questions why she isn't being aided by her crutches, they simply all hug her small body at once, Joshua covering most of her small frame.

"Alright that's enough, give the flower some space," instructs Jonathan. Everyone separates after one final squeeze. The CEO enters the room shortly after and nods to everyone before taking a seat at the back of the room. "Are we ready to start?" He says in a harsh tone.

"Ah, ye, CEO," she gulps knowing what he truly is to her. She walks to the front of the room and plugs in her laptop and unbuckles her guitar case. She smiles towards the boys and half winks at Joshua. She quickly checks her guitar, in that moments time, she decides to close her laptop. 'I can do this solo', she says to herself. She takes a deep breath in before starting to play. Before she begins to rap, she completely changes her mind. She needed to impress them with her vocals, not with how fast and in tune she can 'talk'. She changes the pace of the guitar and then begins singing softly.

I used to think that you and i were meant to be

I used to think that i was your flower,

I used to think that you were my everything,

I used to think.

She rapped only two verses while she had previously planned to rap virtually the whole song, but it certainly paid off. The song ran for a little longer, and it gave her the chance to improvise a little. She was much happier with the song now than before. But something just didn't feel right. Her head was aching and her vision became blurry at some point, she didn't realise it at first. She seemed to be fading, falling asleep maybe? The applause ringed out. Joshua approached her and grabbed her shoulders, shaking her a little. She smiles before pulling him closer, just in time, because then, everything went hazy. And then she was gone.