Chapter 33

Current date of Story, the 13th of December, a Monday

Joshua sat in an annoyingly noisy and uncomfortable chair, just staring at her. She'd been 'asleep' for just over a day now. And the whole time Joshua has sat in the same chair, only leaving it at 'crucial' times. They'd run a number of tests on her, he'd lost count on how many. All those tests...and they still hadn't been told what was wrong, it was as if the doctors didn't even know. Minghao sat on the ground next to him, back leant against the wall and legs spread out in front of him. And then Mingyu...he had managed to snag a spare bed, had jumped on it when the other patient in the room had been discharged.  He truly hated their presence right now, although he had to admit that the company was somewhat  settling, and made things less boring. He loved the boys but with Mingyu's 'feelings' as such, and Minghaos clear adoration towards his girlfriend, made Joshua appear...guarded. He still remembered seeing the terror and pure exhaustion in her face, when she'd grabbed his shirt and pulled him closer before collapsing onto him. She felt weightless, then. Her was body frail and cold. He himself was terrified, had held her close to him while they had waited for help. A tear had rolled down his cheek in fear. They have already waited so long, they could wait a while longer.

Nurses had come and gone, injecting various coloured liquid into her system. Joshua didn't bat an eyelid as he carefully watched anyone that came close to her, his territorial 'quality' shining strong.

The doctor made an appearance a couple hours later. He began to explain exactly what had happened, "As far as I can tell, and from looking at her past medical history, her brain is essentially...taking a holiday, I suppose. From the scans we took of her brain, its is sort of in 'hibernation'. My guess is is that her brain was working to hard during the hours before she collapsed. According to her medical records, " he says, turning pages on his clipboard, "she's had two other nasty knocks to the head in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of thing has happened before. What has she been doing the last few days?"
Joshua gulps, his mouth dry. "Umm, i haven't seen her lately but I do know that she had been writing and composing a song. And likely doing a lot of exercise."
The doctor nods, "she's worked herself way too hard. Currently she is in a bit of a coma, but not really. Give her a couple more days to wake up. She needs plenty of rest, so when she wakes up, please leave her be. We'll continue to investigate anyway."
Joshua nods and thanks him, sinking back into the chair, pushing the air from the cushion and creating a noise much like when one passes gas. The two boys eye him. He throws his hands up and then points to the chair, "don't look at me!! It was the chair!!"
Another look.
"I swear!"
Mingyu replies, face squished against a pillow, "whatever you say."
"It really was!"
"Sure thing Joshie," Minghao mutters.

Current Date of Story, the 15th of December, a Wednesday

Joshua sat, or attempted to lie down, in a chair and in the most uncomfortable looking position you could imagine. His head fell between the gap between the teal coloured chair and the bleak white hospital wall, his adams apple looking like its about tear the skin on his teck, and his legs were splayed out in front of him. He had never meant to fall asleep, but he couldn't help it, his eye lids were slowly getting heavier and heavier, he gave in after hours of trying to keep them open. While he remained asleep, Min-Ji slowly opened her eyes and blinked a few times. Her throat and mouth were dry, very dry. She felt a little queasy, undoubtedly from the many drugs that had been injected into her. She looked to  her left side to see Joshua splayed in an awkward position. She wanted to smile, but her face felt so unbelievable week that she just couldn't. She lay there for a few minutes, collecting her strength. After a while longer, she opened her mouth to call Joshua, only a little squeak came out, but it was enough. His eyes darted open and he scrambled to his feet and grasped her hand, "Gwaenchanhayo?" he asks.
She nods slightly but rubs her throat.
"Thirsty? I'll get you some water, I'll be right back," he leaves the room. Min-Ji glances to the side once more and notices an overnight back and several instant ramen cups piled on her night stand. She guessed that Joshua had been here the whole time she was here, however long that had been. She wondered how long she had been lying in this bed, how long Joshua had waited with her. Joshua returned a couple minutes later carrying a cup and jug, I doctor clad in white trailing behind him. He put both on the nightstand helped her into a sitting position before filling the cup and putting it to her lips. The doctor took note of her vitals and asked her a series of basic questions like, do you feel any pain? Do you feel dizzy? Any discomfort? She said she was fine apart from some nausea. The doctor took his leave saying that he'd be back within the hour. For a few moments Joshua strokes her head in silence. "Am I safe?"
"You mean how'd the voting go? Yes, you're safe. Don't worry about it," he edges her closer the the edge of the bed lies down next to her, arm supporting her head and other wrapped tightly around her. He kissed her forehead lightly, "are you sure you're okay?"
A plain nod, "yes, don't worry about it," she cackles. Joshua doesn't laugh with her, "I'm really worried about it you," he says nuzzling his head onto hers.
"Well I'm okay."
"You didn't, you don't look 'okay'"
"What happened?" She questions.
"After you finished singing, everyone was clapping and I started walking towards you because...you were pale, ghostly pale, and the terror i saw in your eyes scared me. When I got closer you pulled me the rest of the way and then...collapsed onto me. It's the fifteenth of December today."
This made her squirm.
"You've been out for over three days. I have to admit that I was scared as hell."
She squeezes him closer, "I'm fine, I'm alive. Just...fall asleep with me."
He nods, stroking her head, "okay."

-

Mrs Hong places her coffee cup carefully back onto its plate with a clunk. "I am truly ecstatic, I really am Min-Ji. Do you mind if I call you that?"
Lee Yi reaches out and takes her mother's hand, "of course, it's my name after all."