Confidence in love

There isn't a quick fix, an immediate cure. There are only patches for internal wounds and raw faith in them, hoping they bind up the gashes well enough to start repairing damage done. Nothing will strip away the tingles of pain, the skip of his heartbeat, the way his chest heaves when he remembers the feeling of being under that man's stare. It simply cannot be taken from him, he's learning now. It's a part of him that will slowly heal, every happy moment of every single day washing away the heartache. A cruel act of damaging a sound mind. The cleansing of time.

Forgiveness doesn't take away memories, pangs of guilt and anxiety. It doesn't replace reality. It doesn't turn back time. He isn't ready, but Jungkook knew that. He was the only one still confused, still pretending, still trapped in a delusion. He was trying to be stronger than he really felt. He was searching for a solution where there wasn't one.

"Hey, love." Jungkook softly calls to the smaller, not daring to untangle himself from him. He continues to rock him, slowly side to side, humming a low melody to soothe them both. It's finally quiet. They're finally calm. It's felt like such a long time that they've sat here together, crying hard at first and then hardly crying. Soft whimpers transcended into soft breaths, slow inhales and even slower exhales.

Jimin can only think about how wonderful a father Jungkook will make one day. The man cradles him close, rocking him as if he's a child afraid of a thunderstorm or the empty void beneath his bed. Jungkook is soothing and calm, surrounding him in his warmth and love. "Hmm?" He answers, throat dry and hoarse.

The younger smiles against the top of Jimin's head. He breaths out as he kisses him there, closing his eyes. Sitting together after a good cry brings up an emotion he sometimes craves, if Jungkook were forced to be honest. It's a closeness he adores. "I think we made it. Right?"

Feeling too weak to pick his head up from Jungkook's chest to look at him, Jimin hopes the other can imagine the confusion on his face. It doesn't last, though. He understands. Namjoon's words are usually impactful, even when they are the reason for chaos and concern. A tiny laugh comes from his still frame. Jimin sighs, his spirit lifted some. "It's us. Of course we made it, baby."

It's not that Jimin's words are a promise, but they might as well be. Jungkook's heart fills with so much more than hope. He smiles with relief. Maybe Jimin thinks he knows better, maybe Jimin thinks he's got him all figured out, as if he's made of magical intuition or something greater than that. It couldn't be farther from the truth. Jungkook is scared. He's worried and doubtful and confused above every other explosive emotion he controls inside of his head. But, Jimin's words settle his storm. It's us. "It's us, Mochi." Somehow that's everything he needed to comfort him. He feels strong again. "We'll always make it." Whether confused or confident, they can figure it out. Different opinions don't mean they can't eventually come to understand every single side of an argument. Jimin wasn't wrong and Jungkook wasn't right. It's as simple as that and it always will be.

Jimin isn't oblivious to the little signs Jungkook shows him, knowing they aren't intentional. It makes his heart hurt for that, more so for the way Jungkook holds onto him as if he could slip away. Again. Fear isn't what he wants to feel from the other, but he does. Jungkook can cover it up with smiles and laughs and jokes all day, but it's never really hidden. It's the same as his own fear in the way that it can't be removed. Like magic, it won't disappear at the drop of hat, as long as the right words are said or correct actions are met. It heals slowly, like any other wound. Trust is gained through promises kept and love restored. Jimin holds him back just as warmly as the arms that shelter him. Words wouldn't matter as much right now.

"I can't lose you." Jungkook whispers, his lips still pressed into Jimin's hair. He thought he was finished crying, but Jimin's hold is stronger now. It tugs at his emotions. "I'm still afraid."

Jimin lifts his head slowly, leaning into Jungkook's neck with a kiss. He pulls away to look at the tears in the youngers sparkling eyes, acknowledgment in his own. "I know baby, but you won't. You won't lose me."

That. That's a promise. Jungkook smiles then, leaning his head back to deny the tears their plan to fall. He chuckles softly, quickly deciding its time for bed again, time to let Jimin sleep and time for him to hold onto the love of his life for the rest of his life with more confidence than before. He lays the other down, hovering over him for only a moment to watch the adornment swimming inside of those half lidded eyes. There's nothing better than confidence in love. There's nothing better than Jimin.

-///-

A/N: Happy New Year everyone! I love you so so much and may you have the most amazing year imaginable! My New Years resolution is to update at least 1-2 times per week 😅

Thank you for being so supportive of this story and of me. You all are a light in my life. Even if you don't comment or vote or anything, I truly appreciate that you continue to read this story. Thank you for being that comfort for me. It's really meant so much and I want to continue the journey of writing this story with as much enthusiasm as it deserves, for a long time to come 😊 take care of yourself, love yourself and thrive in the new year! I love you ❤️