Spilled

"E-engaged?"

Jimin's mother accepts the hand he's offering to her as their announcement starts sinking in, holding it between her own two and gawking silently down at the glittering ring on his finger. They haven't arrived five minutes before the reason for their visit spills out, impatient and messy. They couldn't really fathom waiting longer than it took to greet and catch up a little, some small talk to conceal the fact that they are definitely here for something more than a bit of chit chat and some homemade cookies.

She stares at the piece of jewelry for much longer than what Jimin finds comfortable, jaw slightly dropped, eyebrows furrowed with concern. It's unmistakably obvious to the rest of the room what she's thinking, every wrinkle in her brow screaming of how unsettled she feels.

"Suddenly blonde and newly engaged? Do we even know who you are anymore, son?" Jimin's father interrupts the dead silence that falls in wake of the news. He seems to chuckle at his own attempt to lighten the solemn atmosphere. He shuffles to his wife's side, scratching the back of his neck with a weary look in his eyes and a slight dip in his brows.

As both of his parents stare down at the engagement ring, twisting it in the gleam of their bright kitchen lights, Jimin knows they have so many questions they want to ask, but won't. A grim expression plagues them both, but they try to hide it with fake smiles that appear in near perfect synchronization. Jimin expects them to say cliche things, such as; 'We're happy for you.', 'So exciting!', but instead they surprise him by backing away, dropping his hand and nodding as if it's painful to accept, but it's simply something they have to swallow. They don't mean to let on that they're disappointed, but Jimin can feel their judgement, spilling over like overdrawn bath water, and it's disheartening. As much as he expected to feel this way, he can't stop his heart from yearning for their approval.

"Beautiful ring." Jimin's mother whispers, clearing her throat and painting on a polite smile now, almost less convincing than the last attempt. She glances at Jungkook quickly, finding one of his arms hidden behind Jimin's smaller frame, standing close by his side in an almost protective manner. The tension in her shoulders eases from this, just slightly. They look happy together, comfortable, absolutely smitten with one another. Jungkook would do anything to protect her son, she knows. She likes him for this, for being kind and attentive, for being hardworking and loyal. Still, she sighs and turns away from them, because although her opinion feels invalid, it's too soon for all of this talk of marriage. Jimin will surely disagree.

She plunges her hands into the warm water filled sink behind her, clutching a plate to busy herself by scrubbing it clean, letting silence fall upon the others once again.

Jimin's father chuckles softly into the quiet room, placing his hands on the kitchen island they're standing around. "It's surprising, you know." He says, attempting a nonchalant attitude that doesn't come off as natural as he'd like it to.

Jungkook narrows his eyes, confused, at Jimin's dad, tilting his head with a curious expression when he knows the older man isn't looking in his direction. This isn't the kind of reaction he expected from Jimin's parents at all. His father is a bit temperamental and his mother quite honestly a bit of an emotional roller coaster. She should be in tears, either happy or terrified, and Jimin's father should be reading them the riot act. That's what he prepared himself to face coming into their humble abode. Jungkook didn't expect this show of face and he doesn't know what to do with it. "Surprising, I know." He challenges, feeling as if he's poking a bear that maybe he shouldn't be. He doesn't move his eyes away when Jimin's father looks in his direction, because more than a riot act screams behind the older man's dilated pupils. A forced smile still sits on his lips, but Jungkook can see his real emotions getting the better of him inside of the uncomfortable stare.

"Never been much of a fan of those." Jimin's father counters under his breath, feeling competitive in a manner he hadn't predicted needing to be. The younger generation is so careless. "Surprises. Let's have a one on one talk about that, what d'ya say?"

He definitely poked the bear. Jungkook blinks away from their held eye contact and clears his throat to disperse some of the awkward vibes between them. He looks at Jimin who seems amused, something that also catches him off guard. Jimin doesn't look at him, instead laughing softly before slinking away from his side. What a traitor.

"I'll help mom with cleaning up the kitchen." Jimin says softly, warily coming to his mothers side at the sink and facing his back to the tension between his father and fiancé. It could be worse. It could be so much worse, but he can feel the chilly gaze on his backside, entirely certain it's Jungkook's glare of betrayal. The boy would have to face his father for this at some point, and it's better to let it happen while he takes care of his mothers cold shoulder towards him at the same time.

Without waiting for a proper response, the old man grunts, waving a hand for Jungkook to follow him away from the kitchen. He notices the reluctance from the younger and scoffs quietly, trying his best not to blow a fuse already. They file into a living space that's mostly used for show, neither looking for comfort in the nice furniture that fills it warmly, standing in front of the door that closes behind them.

"The decor is nice in here, I-"

"Shut up, kid." The older interrupts Jungkook's attempt at small talk. He turns to him with lines in his forehead now, sighing. He could explode, angry enough to lay into the boy about never asking him if it was alright to marry his son, not bringing his son to visit them more often, coming off as cocky instead of passive before in the kitchen. Making sure Jimin visits them often isn't Jungkook's responsibility, he knows. Jungkook is likely more proud, and a little defiant, than he is cocky. Asking for Jimin's hand in marriage is far too traditional for their family anyway, but he'd have appreciated a mention beforehand. His anger fizzles out into a place of uncertainty. Jimin is too stubborn to control, and he wouldn't want to ruin their relationship by forcing his opinion down either one of their throats. Still, he worries. Parenting takes a different road when it's mostly done from afar, and inside short moments when he can see the way his boy shines beside the one he truly loves is plenty of comfort for his concern that fills the frequent spaces between them. Jungkook's done a fine job protecting, caring and genuinely loving. His tension eases and Jimin's father claps a heavy hand on the youngers back. "You hurt him, you die. That's all there is."

Jungkook's lips lift in an instinctual awkward laugh, wincing under the others hand and narrowed stare. "Yes, Sir." He nods, speaking softly and with as much intentional respect as he can muster. Jimin is so soft, but somehow his father is suddenly so damn intimidating.

-///-

A/N: This isn't very long, but it really took so much focus. Ahhh but it's an update and I'm content with it. I really didn't think I was going to be. I hope it's okay :))

Truly, I love you all so so much and your messages and comments always mean the world to me. Have the best day, my loves. You're loved and you are beautiful, always. ❤️