Warm Body

"Are you sure you're going to be alright? You don't like being alone."

"I'll be fine."

"But-"

"I'll be fine, Hobi."

Eyes damp and unfocused, Hoseok stares at the wall next to Jimin's head. He's invited himself to be here, unwanted. He knows why, but knowing doesn't make it feel any better.

Jimin exhales a sigh and reaches out to rest his hand on Hoseok's shoulder. The other looks up to meet his eyes and he finds them brimming with tears. All this emotion spilling onto his best friend's cheeks and his own heart barely notices. It's trying so hard to put itself back together, but his head reminds him why he would rather be numb. Fixing his own broken heart will just make it vulnerable again.

Jimin won't ever be vulnerable again.

"Stop worrying, I'll have Beans! I won't be alone."

Hoseok sighs now and he nods his head in acknowledgment, accepting that all he has left is the act of supporting his friend. His own opinions aren't going to matter. His concerns are futile. If this is what heart break does, the detachment and anxiety that he's witnessing in every single weak smile on Jimin's dry lips, it definitely makes it to Hoseok's list of fears. "Beans is good company."

Jimin leans back against his pillows, pulling his hand away from Hoseok and burying his fingers in Beans' fur. He files them through her black fluff and lets a tiny smile lift the edges of his lips. The smile doesn't reach his eyes, but he loves her so much. The smile will never reach his eyes again the same way that it did before, because loving people and being in love are two different feelings. Being in love is for people that can trust another person to take care of their heart. Jimin used to be that kind of person. Everything in or nothing at all, my heart is yours and your heart is mine. That's how it was.

But, that's not how it is ever going to be again.

Feeling numb and broken all at once is overwhelming on the best days. The worst days feel like a roller coaster that wasn't built with safety in mind. It's dangerous and impractical and the seatbelts don't work.

"You know," Jimin says after a long bout of silence. He chuckles softly, nothing more than a throat tickle really. "It's not goodbye. You know that, right?"

With a bit of a cringe, a little afraid to upset Jimin, Hoseok shrugs his shoulders. "Who's to say you'll ever come back when you fall in love with it there?"

"I won't fall in love." Jimin snaps back immediately, nearly shouting at the mention of falling in love with anything, or anywhere, or anyone ever again. "And you can visit me when I'm settled in. Or when you can."

"That doesn't sound like coming back."

It doesn't. Jimin can't even think of coming back, he just wants to exist somewhere else. It hurts too much to see his surroundings now when everything reminds him of what he had before. It was perfect, imperfectly so. His love story already feels like a distant memory and at the same time it feels like just yesterday he was somebody's everything. Just yesterday his future wasn't the same stranger he sees in it now. Being alone with his thoughts will either drive him crazy or more numb than he already is. "I don't know if it's going help me yet or not."

Hoseok's brows furrow together. He doesn't respond for a moment, processing how permanently he might be separated from his best friend in the entire world. He wants to see Jimin happy, not just be told that he is. He wants to laugh about old memories together when they're older without remembering the time of their lives when they couldn't make them together. It's a little bit absurd when Hoseok thinks about it, even trying his best to see it from Jimin's perspective. This is how their lives are going to turn out. Apart.

Broken.

Jimin is family, more important than most others and without him Hoseok isn't going to be complete. That's a simple truth with complex emotions and too many for him to hide. "I wish it could be me that helps you, not a place away from him."

This time, even as it's buried under the debris and wreckage of it's own destruction, Jimin's heart hurts over Hoseok's words. His stomach churns and tears glaze over his brown pupils. "Me, too."

-///-

10 AM. Hoseok is calling his phone.

Jimin doesn't have the motivation to answer it, but he wants to. He wishes he could. It's so easy to ignore everything when it's so far away. He doesn't want to mess that up. He's not going to.

It's not the most morally sound response to give his best friend that's trying so hard to stay in contact, but it works for Jimin. It helps Jimin.

"Not going to answer that?"

A muffled voice calls from beside him, the warm body in his bed grumbling out of sleep, obviously perturbed by the buzzing of Jimin's phone. The blanketed man sighs when Jimin doesn't respond, breaking his arms free from the cocoon he'd enveloped himself in and turning to face him.

"Babe. Your phone."

Finally the buzzing stops, followed shortly by another. Voicemail.

Hoseok probably sounds disappointed, but Jimin won't listen to that voicemail for a while to find out anyway. He bites his lower lip, humming softly as thoughts of home rush over him. Just for a second he's back there, surrounded by his friends, his family.

Jungkook.

"Okay. Breakfast?"

Jimin blinks his eyes rapidly as he notices that he was spacing out. His vision is blurry, but he adverts his eyes away from meeting the others even though he feels the heavy stare on the side of his face. "Breakfast, yeah." He mutters, knowing that his voice is distant and pained. It'll be a cause for worry later, but right now he just needs a moment alone. Thank God he set boundaries this time before letting somebody else share his bed.

"You got it." He steals a small kiss from Jimin's puffy red lips and smiles. "Come soon, okay?"

Jimin nods, smiling a little at the other. "I'll be there."

-///-

A/N: I'm sorry for this guys. I'm also really sorry for being gone again for so long. It's going to get angsty here I had to prepare myself.. I love you.