Prologue

I wasn't sure how long I had been out here, but I didn't care.

There was no need to keep track of the days or years...
No need for a name or a voice...

Just existing in the vast, open world was enough.

Existence, though, was a never ending battle. Titans; murderous beasts that could reach the highest heights, roamed the earth I, too, called home, and they were impossible to avoid. I had grown used to it, but they still managed to take me off guard every now and again.

.
.

"I should probably check the traps, aye, Boy..?" I sighed as I rolled my neck to look at my companion. He lifted his chocolate brown head and peered back at me through his flaxen mane; puffing warmth in my direction before turning back to his grazing. "Yeah...you're right...Moving probably isn't a good idea right now..." I coughed as I tried to get more comfortable.

Not long before; probably almost a week prior, I had to flee the last place I had set up camp. Titan hoards came in a blink of an eye, and all I could do was jump on my horse and ride for miles through the heavy storm to safety. Obviously I had run dry on luck, as I had ended up pretty sick over the course of a day.

Breathing was difficult and incredibly painful, with a sharp twang in my chest every time I sucked in oxygen. I was hot and cold at the same time, and my sweat was feeling almost as thick as the phlegm that just couldn't come up and out of my throat. I was out in the open, which was a bad position if any Titans were close by, but I thought I would be okay. There had been one of those flare signals that morning, so it was likely that those bastards behind the wall had already cleared the area for the time being.

My horse wandered closer and began to lip at my shoulder, which was covered with the shredded remains of a men's shirt, which had once been white. I took what I could from the corpses I found, which was how I made my traps. The wire from that stupid gear they used to fly about was incredibly useful if you put your mind to it. Almost everything they had on them was; especially their blades.

"I'll be fine, buddy..." I croaked; even struggling with lifting my hand to stroke his nose. "I just need you to keep an ear out for-"

"Oi! Captain, there's a person down here!" My heart, although already erratic, almost burst out of my chest as I heard a voice call out, and through my hazy vision I could see a man on horseback atop the grassy knoll. His brown jacket was enough to send me into a panic, but that increased tenfold when I realised there were about five of them.

Shit..! I gotta get out of here!

Adrenaline gave me the strength I needed to grab hold of my horse; dragging myself up onto his bare back and making a break for it. They were already after me, I could hear the drumming of hooves closing in, but I had faith in my company.
"C..come on, Boy..! You know...where to go..!" I was simply holding on instead of giving him any direction, but I trusted him, and I knew he trusted me.

"Hey! Stop, right now! We just wanna talk!" A gruff voice yelled out from behind, way too close for comfort, and I squeezed my knees tighter around my steed's sides. They wanted to catch me, that's what they wanted. I knew their game and I wasn't about to become one of their mindless cattle.
"We aren't going to hurt you, Miss! Please stop running!" This voice was female, but it didn't make a difference. I was so close, and if I could just reach that one point, I was set.

"In the name of Wall Rose, stop!" That made my guts churn, and I dared to turn around and glare at them through glazed, reddened eyes.
"FUCK THE WALL!" I barked back, and I wished I could have seen their faces properly.

A few moments...just...one...two...three...and...

Reaching up, I grasped onto the wire I had strung weeks beforehand. My tying my finds together, I had created some kind of barrier system, which stopped Titans in their tracks. Of course it would work on stupid Scouts, too.
"Wh..what the hell..?!" I heard them come to a screeching halt, and I was pretty sure I heard one of them fall from their horse. Perfect, exactly how I planned it. Now, all I needed to do was...

*WHOOSH*

That was the last thing I heard before I became airborne, and my god, I almost screamed. I would have if I wasn't drained of all energy. My horse stopped the moment he felt my weight lift from his back, and I used the little reserved strength I had left to turn and glare at my captor. Jet black hair and piercing sterling eyes stared back at me, and I knew I was done for. He emitted that kind of threatening aura that just told your mind, body and soul that you could never win against him, but that didn't mean I wouldn't try.

"P..put me...d..dow..down..!" I shrieked; my pathetic flailing not hindering him in the slightest as he flew with me through the trees. I hated being up so high, and I hated that I had been one-upped.
"I don't think I will." He replied blandly as we descended onto the dry soil; his monstrous grip on me never faltering. We were back on the other side of my wire trap, and I could hear my horse scuffling about far across where he had been.

"Sir, she doesn't look too well..." The female voice spoke up in a concerned manner, but I couldn't see her face. I was fading fast, but my struggling continued.
"F..fuck off..! L..let me g..go! D..don't...Not to the..w..wall..!" I repeated this over and over, but nobody would listen.
"Yes, to the wall. You're sick, and you're filthy. Absolutely filthy...Just pass out and save yourself the trouble, brat..." The man who held onto me by the waist muttered coldly; almost brutally flinging me over the saddle of his horse before jumping on in front of me.

I couldn't move. I tried to roll off onto the ground, but I couldn't even manage that. Everything but my mouth was under an icy blanket of darkness, and I would use that until it, too, decided to fail me.
"Don't...take me...to the fucking...w..wall..!" Over and over I screamed it until my lungs felt like they were being reduced to ash. I wanted to jerk my head away when I cool hand pressed against my forehead, but there was nothing left of me.

"Captain Levi, Sir...She's burning up...We need to get her straight to the hospital..." A worried male voice spoke, and all I wanted to say was...

Let me die..! Let me die..! I would rather die than go behind that concrete cage..!

"That's what I intended to do. Come on, in formation, back to the wall!" This Levi's voice gave me chills. He didn't frighten me, but he made me feel like I had no choice to submit. Or, perhaps that was simply because I was rapping on deaths door with a bouquet of shrivelled orchids.

"D..don't...t..take...me...to...th..the..."

Don't take me back again...

.
.
.
.
***I complain about having no time to write, yet here I am, publishing more bullshit. Welcome to my Attack on Titan x Reader, my children. Let's see how long I can keep this up...***