Subchapter (SuLay) : Promise

A/N: A back story for SuLay secret couple.

________________________________________

How it started and when it started were never the questions that occurred to Junmyeon during those times. It just happened and that’s it.

Him and Lay, or as his real Chinese name, Yixing, being first year students and the elected batch representatives for the rest of their freshmen schoolmates already had taken a toll for their popularity in school. It was good, great, actually. They were the perfect role students. But contrary to this, being of a Chinese blood in a Korean school also had its stakes.

No one wanted to be friends with a Chinese guy. No one. Thus, Lay had always found himself being left out, alone and pushed in a corner when everybody else is having their own fun. Getting along is one thing, but the language barrier is what made it tougher for him to cope up.

Lay, at first, did not show that he minded the treatment at all. He was already prepared for such things even before they had left China. What hurts though, is that he never thought it would be this painful to be neglected even if he was trying his best to make friends. He had always been shrugged off.

There were times, that finally, when he thought he had conquered the gap, he would find himself back in his starting pace again. No, even farther from where he started. As if being ignored is not bad enough, his classmates had to take their fun a bit higher than before. Pranks were made, teases were thrown and even harsh words were significantly made for him to hear.

He took everything in as he gulped down that big lump in his throat. If it meant being accepted in return, then he’ll just smile at the nasty things. Be bullied and live like it was just a natural thing.

But his smiles only took him some distance and not too far enough for him to completely be numb. So instead of the cafeteria for lunch, it was the bathroom stalls that he went, or at times, behind the old building where no one can see him crying.

It was hard.

Lay felt like dying every day he went to school, except, these were things that he can’t tell to anyone else. He has to be the good guy and let everything slip behind. It’s one part of him that he hated and at the same time, others, people that truly know him, admired.

Is being good a curse or a gift?

-

His school life that soon became a routine for every day only became harder and harder for him to handle as the days passed. Lay’s trip to the stalls and under the shades of the old building, too, became a constant thing. What he cried for a minute back then, now took him a whole hour to release. His pain got bigger and heavier through time.

His sadness only became more dull to his core. His sobs and tears only became more resenting to his soul. And among these all, Lay wished that they would stop.

-

It’s not until one day that someone had decided to go out of his way just to get some sight of new sceneries, take his earphones that were too busy dangling in both of his ears off and accidentally hear his breaking sobs.