Ch. 57 : Changes

A/N: Hi~ another one long month -_- mian~

________________________________________

Baekhyun walks over the faded pavements that had been washed over by a thousand feet – lost, unwilling – like he had always been whenever he was alone. What was once a happy trail from back then never seemed so dull and lifeless in his heavy eyes now. The way he looks at his own feet, the way his breathe counts how many steps he had made one after another, or how he cares not if he had bumped against way too many people along the way, all he can do was ask. Maybe he had asked himself way too much that every time he repeats the words again in his mind, let them escape his lips and be heard by his ears, all he can do is ask once again and stare blankly as he waits for an answer that never came.

What happened…?

Asking even though he had known the answer for quite a while, but now one question seems to harbor different endings after those two uncertain words; where each one hurts just as the same and even more as the other.

What happened… to me?

What happened… to us?

What happened… to everything that was important and special?

What happened… Byun Baekhyun?

He could still remember walking along this same path along with a certain girl he loved with all his heart. The way he holds Taeyeon’s hands as its movement sways with their smiles. The way he looks only at her even if they were crowded by a hundred more. The way he considers it back then as their most precious time of the day. He remembers how simply walking home was enough for him to keep dreaming of how they would do it again tomorrow, the next days, until forever. But now, all he could do is walk that same path again in all hopes that maybe she’s still taking it, too, hoping that somehow, in any way, they would cross path, be ignored but still feel the brush of her arm against his, or just simply be able to look in her eyes again even if it is just for a second before she turns away and run. It alone would be enough to keep him from clinging onto sanity. That enough is all Baekhyun asks.

Firmly, he clenches his fist as he keeps his weightless pace. He blames Chanyeol in his head for cutting Jongin’s punches short over his face. The pain made him feel alive. Even if it killed him he’d like to take them again, just so that he can validate that he still exists in his own life.

“Fuck!” He heard Chanyeol shout from the distance but his eyes only focuses on his hands strangling over Jongin’s neck as the younger of the two flings punches over his face.

One loud thud and the next thing Baekhyun knew was Jongin flying away with a kick Chanyeol forcefully had made on his side, shouting as he sees him stand in between.  “Take one more step Jongin, and I’ll be the one to fuckin’ kill the lights out of you!”

Jongin did as he was told, glaring at the still lumped body glaring back just as the same. But Baekhyun’s quick reflexes and pain remembrance made him stand in a second and came rushing back at where Jongin stands. Though, as fast as he came standing was as fast as Chanyeol punched him down again. Chanyeol hated using force, Baekhyun knew what a pacifist his best friend was, but now, Chanyeol overcame one thing for the sake of what was important to him – and that is Byun Baekhyun himself. He hated what Baekhyun is turning into, enough for him to make him do something he would hate him just as the same.