Forty-Five - Octavia

"I have a question," Colby said once we were in his room. I turned to look at him.

"And that is?" I asked. He held both of my hands, pulling me closer to him than before.

"Will you officially be my girlfriend again?" he said. My mouth dropped open. He finally said it.

"Yes! I will officially be your girlfriend," I replied. We both smiled. He leaned in but before our lips touched, Kat walked in.

"Hey, long time no s... oh sorry, guys," she smiled sheepishly at us. I turned to face her fully.

"It's OK. Nice to see you," I said. She walked up to me, hugging me then Colby. "What was that for?" I asked.

"You saved Devyn, one of my best friends. And you," she pointed at Colby, "you saved my boyfriend." Oh, that's why. "Thank you both," she smiled as she walked out. "Sorry for interrupting," neither of us could reply before the door was shut. I shrugged and turned back to my boyfriend. 

"Let's resume where we left off, eh?" I suggested, smirking.

"Let's do that," he smirked back then leaned down.

**********

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to Sam! Happy birthday to you!" we all sang. It was Sam's birthday today. He was happy. He blew out the candles of the cake we bought him.

"Ew, you're old!" I yelled at him. He laughed along with everyone else. 

"Shush, Octavia! Don't ruin our Insta stories!" Kat yelled. We laughed more before everyone looked down at their phones to post what they just recorded. 

A little later in the night, everyone was dancing in the living room and we all had had a little bit of a drink. Sam walked up onto the make-shift stage, stopping the music. "Guys! I wanna do a quick speech," he said. Everyone finally quietened down and looked at him. "So, as you know about one month ago, Octavia went through the traumatic experience of getting stabbed by a man and, though it didn't affect her much," he smiled, "she still overcame it just like that. She became the life of the party straight away again." He paused. "Then, there's Colby,"

"Oh no," Colby mumbled. I nudged him to say shut up.

"Something traumatic also happened to him recently. Two to three weeks ago, we were attacked on the car park of a pizza hut. Octavia was a hero, and I am grateful for that, however, during her amazing ninja skills, the man managed to shoot his gun. Thanks to my pale-ass skin and blonde-ass hair," everyone chuckled, "he was aiming it at me. Colby, Colby, Colby. He jumped in front of me to save me and it worked. He got shot. For me. I will never EVER forget that, man." Sam smiled at him. "It's crazy what you did, something from the movies. Maybe you shouldn't let Octavia rub off on you so much,"

"Hey!" I yelled.

"Just kidding," Sam laughed.

"That's not the only kind of rubbing!" Jake yelled over the crowd.

"I'm gonna kill you," Colby said. Sam was smiling.

"I owe you so much for that, I can't thank you enough. But I think I have some way of starting. If you'd all follow me," Sam jumped down from the side of the stage. He walked to the front door. I was in on this. I followed everyone out. I'd helped Sam pay, though it was also from the gang, which probably wasn't actually their money. I was right by Sam's side as we stood next to Colby's dream car, which sat on the driveway. The moment Colby saw it, his jaw dropped.

"Sam, you didn't!" he exclaimed.

"I did. And I did because not only did you save my life a few weeks ago, but you made my life. I'd still be a little boy in Kansas without you, and so would you. I want you to have this car, though you can keep the red one since you love it so much," Sam announced.

"Sam!" Corey and Jake yelled. "That's insane!" Corey added.

"Damn, that's a nice car, too," one of their friends I'd forgotten the name of said. Jay, was it? Colby opened his arms and they hugged for a good ten seconds. When they pulled away, Sam handed Colby the keys.

"Did anyone else know?" Colby asked loudly so everyone would hear.

"Octavia did," Sam ratted me out.

"Sam! I said not to tell him!" I exclaimed. Sam laughed and Colby pulled me into a quick hug. He whispered a 'thank you' before he pulled away. "No problem," I replied. Colby shoved the key into his pocket.

"I'll take it out for a spin later," he said.

"Just to finish off my speech and surprise, I'd like to thank Octavia again, not for being a hero and saving Devyn, not for being strong when she was wounded, not for being the life of the party, but for making Colby happy. The last few months he has been one of the happiest guys I've ever met, and that's because of you, Octavia, thank you." I smiled, hugging Sam. "Thanks for listening," he said as I pulled away and walked back to Colby's side, holding his hand. Most people went back to what they were doing before - partying. 

"Dude, it's your birthday! I can't accept this!" Colby exclaimed.

"You can, and you will," Sam replied shortly. "It's the least I could do, bro,"

"Dude," they shared a hug. So cute. 

"Take it out for a spin, come back when you're done," Sam said. I helped get Colby to go by pulling on his hand. We got into the car, starting it up. The moment we were on the street rather than in the driveway, Colby held my hand. What a day!