Ninety-One

I woke up with arms around me. I could feel the ring on my finger as an extra weight I'd never had before: jewelry's not my thing. I stared at it for a few moments in awe. Then I heard the front door open and close. Sam's the only other person with a key...

"Are we scaring them or just waking them up?" Kat asked.

"Scaring is more fun." Aaron stated.

"Yes, but Octavia will kill us." Jake reminded everyone there.

"Probably." Corey agreed.

"Just wake them up normally?" Sam suggested.

"For the best." I could imagine Devyn nodding her head.

"Or..." Kat paused, "we can just hang out in their apartment until they wake up."

"We can raid the fridge and cupboards!" Devyn let out in excitement.

"Oh my god, yes." 

A few minutes later, it was mostly silent throughout the apartment. The faint sound of voices could still be heard from the kitchen. I took another look at the ring on my finger; a ring I never thought I'd wear, let alone wear so soon, and let alone have it be from Colby! Octavia Brock. That's going to be my name. I wonder if Gracie will be excited.

I finally got out of bed, being careful not to wake Colby, and brushed through my hair as I walked into the main room. Kat, Devyn, Corey, and Aaron were sat on the stools in the kitchen while Sam and Jake sat on the couch.

"Happy birthday!" Corey exclaimed when he saw me.

"Thank you, Corey." I got a glass of water quickly.

"Happy birthday." the rest of them said to me. I didn't realize until I saw Kat's face, but I was holding the glass with my left hand. I nonchalantly switched them while saying thank you to everyone.

"Octavia. With me now." Kat ordered. We walked onto the balcony where she stood in the guy's way so they couldn't see anything but some of my face. "Oh my god!" she squealed excitedly.

"Shush, Kat." I whispered even though the Trap House wouldn't be able to hear us anyways. I got a look from her then she held out her hand.

"Let me see it... please?" I put my hand in hers, taking a sip of my water while her eyes shone happily. "Oh my god, I actually can't believe it. When did it happen?"

"Around about midnight." I told her. Her jaw dropped in surprise, then the door opened. Sam stood there with a confused look.

"Why did you pull her outside, Kat?" he questioned. Kat gave me a pleading look so I nodded.

"Close the door." Kat ordered. "Look at her hand." I'd never seen a face so shocked. His eyes were fixated on my ring.

"For real, Octavia?" I nodded with a smile. "Wow, I didn't know he had it in him to do so soon. I get it, though, I honestly do. He said the other day that he doesn't see himself with anyone but you ever. I guess he was planning this the whole time."

"Can we go inside? I'm a little cold." I admitted sheepishly. Sam and Kat smiled at me then lead the way.

"What were you guys talking about?" Devyn asked with a pleading look when we entered the main room again. Sam and Kat gave me a look but I slightly shook my head.

"Kat was fangirling about an actress." Sam dismissed with a smile and a little wave.

"Makes sense. Is it the same one we were talking about yesterday, Kat?" Kat nodded so I walked to the kitchen. I quickly placed my glass in the sink then went into my bedroom. Colby still slept peacefully in the middle of the bed. I picked out a black 'Take Chances' hoodie from Colby's side of the closet and a pair of black skinny jeans. I left the clothes on my vanity so I could take a shower.

A catcall whistle sounded from behind me just before I pulled on the hoodie. Colby was still lying down with his hands behind his head. I laughed at him. "Hey, babe. Just letting you know: everyone's in the main room and Sam and Kat know about this." I lifted my hand for him to see the ring he gave me last night.

"How?" he frowned as he contemplated life.

"I just didn't realize I was holding my glass with my left hand then Kat noticed then told Sam." I shrugged and sat down cross-legged next to him. "But I mean, they're all gonna know soon, right?" Colby nodded with a smile and took my hand, looking at the ring.

"I'm so glad I did it, to be honest." I smiled down at him. He sat up, making our faces quite close. Our lips connected for longer than he probably intended. "I love you." he said as he rested his head on my shoulder.

"I love you too but you need to get up, now. Our friends are still waiting."

"Happy birthday, by the way."

"Happy anniversary."