One Hundred and Twenty-One

I woke up to the sound of Rose crying. She had one of those ear-ringing cries that could be heard throughout the entire apartment if she wanted them to. As I was opening my eyes, I felt Colby slip away from me. Light footsteps led to the door, which - after it closed - left almost silence. Rose stopped crying just a minute after Colby had disappeared. I sighed and looked at the time on my phone. 03:12. About right considering the last time she ate.

I rolled back over to cuddle into the sheets due to Colby's absence. I could hear gentle shushing that was even sending me to sleep. But I fought back the will, waiting for Colby to return first. I've learned from the last week that if he doesn't return within a few minutes, then he needs help.

Another minute went by and I was preparing myself to get out of bed when the door opened again. Colby snuck back into bed, pulling me to him. I sighed again and curled up into him, snuggling in. The apartment had been kinda cold lately, too.

I wonder if Sam's awake... he probably is. Probably haunting his apartment right now, actually. Those ghosts better stay over there with him because I'm not having them come remotely close to Rose. 

Eventually, sleep consumed me. My thoughts died down, except for my last, which turned into a dream. The world became silent for all purposes other than to allow me to be here. 

Fortunately, I've always run on low sleep. The next morning, I got up straight away at about nine am. I showered and changed quickly then headed into the kitchen. Rose had woken us up one more time at six and I'd taken that one. Next one was around about now. I was able to make two mugs of coffee before I heard her. She's a very well-trained baby... if that makes sense? She's right on time for everything. 

I rushed into the room, making the bottle in there as fast as I could then picking her up and starting the feeding process. In this time, Colby had walked to the kitchen, picked up the mugs, and walked into the room. "Hey." his voice groggy and tired.

"Hi." I took the mug from him to allow him to sit down somewhere in the room. "You can go to sleep again, you know." I reminded him, taking a sip then placing it on the floor as Rose finished her feed. I gently rocked her in my arms.

"I know I could but I don't want to." he drank some coffee. I'd missed coffee during my pregnancy. I didn't have an addiction to it, per se, just enjoyed it once in the morning. It was a nice, normal thing that made me feel more normal. 

I burped Rose before putting her down in her crib without another word. I placed a toy we were sort of training her to start using next to her then walked over to Colby and sitting on his lap. He didn't object at all. I'd grabbed my coffee on the way, too.

"I don't know whether we're gonna invite some friends over today or not." I thought out loud. Colby's chin rested on my shoulder. "What do you think?"

"I don't mind, honestly. I'm quite happy to keep it as the three of us right now." I looked down into his eyes. He was definitely way too tired to be up and about.

"Colby, go back to bed, please. You need to sleep." he only shook his head at me so I stood up and pulled him with me. "Please?" I stared directly into his eyes and my trick worked.

"Fine." he pecked my lips then walked off to our room. I finished my coffee and poured his away since he wouldn't be needing it anymore. 

I continued on with my now normal day of spending hours upon hours with the baby. Colby was there for most of it, spending his other time in bed or eating for a longer amount of time to me. Rose consistently cried for feeding and we only had to change her diaper once with a 'bomb' in it. 

Overall, a pretty good day.