One Hundred and Twenty-Two

Rose lifted her head up ever so slightly in her crib to try and see what I'm doing, which is backing a little bag so that we can go out. As a one-month-old baby, she's starting to react to things. I didn't like pushchairs so instead, I decided I'd hold her; Colby taking over if I want him to. I put some extra bottles, diapers, wipes, and a toy into the little backpack.

"Octavia?" Colby called through the apartment. He went out with Sam for lunch because the two hadn't really hung out in a while. He's been better at dealing with the lesser sleep lately. 

"Yeah?" I picked up Rose's outfit for the day: a black dress decorated with roses and a pair of tights. Colby and I were happy with the outfits people had bought us; all black or deep colors. It meant we didn't have to dress her up in pink and yellow.

"Hey. Should have figured you're in here." Colby walked quickly over to the crib, reaching in and picking up our daughter. At this point, we hold her on the side so she can learn to lift her head up on her own. She currently rests her head on our shoulders but she'll figure it out soon. "Do you want a day out with the girls soon? They've been begging me to get you to go."

"No, I'm looking after Rose." I took her from him to get her changed on the little changing table.

"You need to go out eventually, Octavia." I stayed silent as I adjusted the dress on her. Colby turned me to face him. "It'll be healthier for you if you don't spend all day every day with Rose." I stared into his eyes but didn't know what came over me when I said:

"You'd know about not spending time with her." shocked, Colby frowned, frozen in place. I checked in the backpack that I had everything and walked back to Rose.

"Are you ok lately?" he by-passed the statement but he still frowned about it. I put a little black headband on her to match the dress then pulled on some little black baby shoes. "Babe?" I took a breath as to not get angry at him. 

"I'm just stressed out, ok? Yes, I'll have a day with the girls." I sighed and turned to him. He analyzed me, or rather looked me up and down, then nodded, pulling me to him.

"I get you're stressed, Tave, I honestly do. In fact, I'm banning you from looking after Rose on the girl's day and the day before and after that." I opened my mouth to respond but got cut off. "No arguments."

"Fine. We're going to Corey's anyway, right?" Colby nodded. "Then I'll talk to Devyn while we're there."

"Good." with all of my anger gone, I pecked his lips. Rose made a noise behind me so I turned to her and picked her up.

"I've got the bag for today but I will let you take over from tomorrow onward." I told Colby. 

"Onward and upward." he mumbled, making me smile. Sam would be so proud.