004 || impatient

•••

•••

"Five minutes to go" Dalia laughed, wiping the cleared tables "fingers crossed no one else comes in"
"You've jinxed it now!" I groaned, slapping her arm with a tea towel.
As if I'm cue, the door opened to reveal Natasha.
"She's all yours - I gotta take inventory" Dalia winked, escaping to the back room. Rolling my eyes at her behaviour I turned to face Natasha with a smile.
"Hey how can I help"
"I'm not actually here for a drink - it's about Clint - you have a minute?"
"Uhh sure?" I said, walking to the nearest table and sitting opposite her.

She sighed, placing her hands on the table and looked me in the eye.
"He doesn't know I'm here, so don't tell him I said any of this" she started, only continuing once I nodded, "when he introduced me as his partner today, he means that we work together. I could see you got a bit pissed off with that earlier-"
I felt a blush of embarrassment rise up my cheeks, which Natasha smirked at.
"- and from that reaction I'm guessing you like him"
"Wha- no - I mean - pshhh" I stammered, making her laugh.
"That's good, because I plan to get you two together" she said, a determined glint in her eye.
"Why? Did he say he liked me that way?" I managed to say, my face feeling really hot against my hands as I cupped my cheeks.
"Yes he did. I tried telling him to get over himself and ask but he's reluctant because of his job"
"Security? Why would that make him hesitant?"
"He's worried that it might endanger you if he was to ask you out. Feelings in our line of work... can be tricky" she explained carefully.
"What kind of security job do you mean? I thought he just meant at a bar or something" I asked curiously
"Well its a bit more high-end than bar security" she chuckled, as if she had an inside joke that I wouldn't understand.
I narrowed my eyes with suspicion.
"You're not working for a nazi group or some shit are you?"
"What? No!"
"Okay then. No problems then" I shrugged, leaning back in my chair.
Natasha smiled at me, a hint of pride in her eyes.
"You know, a lot of people wouldn't still want to be involved after a revelation like that"
"Well I'm not most people" I winked cheekily, making her chuckle in agreement.
"I guess you're not"

She stood up suddenly, her finger flying to her ear.
"Ah - uh sorry that's work. Here's Clint's number, text him when you can. Someone's got to make the first move here - and if this morning was any indicator, it won't be Clint" she said, pressing a card into my hands before dashing out of the door.

•••

Hey Clint, it's Grace. I was given
your phone number, I hope you don't
mind too much :)

Let me guess, Natasha?

I promised not to tell ;)

Thought so. When did she
give you my number? I didn't
see her give you it earlier

...

Oh of course. Silly question.
How was the rest of your shift?

It went okay. Same old same old

That's good.

I'm going to have to talk to you
later, a little emergency came up
at work, if I don't reply that's why.

Okay. Stay safe
Read 7:42pm