005 || fine

•••

•••

"Can I have a chat with you quickly Grace?"
I looked up to Steve with a smile, "Yeah sure"
Everyone followed in after him, instantly going over to the three kids who crowded around the fresh batch of cookies.
Following the super soldier, I smiled at the twins as I passed, a hint of worry crossing their faces. I followed him into the meeting room, sitting down at the table. Steve followed in after me, standing at the head.
"T'Challa has given us a mission - we're leaving tonight"
"Who is he sending you after this time?"
"Vigilantes, turning terrorist. The same people who... well they took you"
"I thought we'd gone over this - I thought they were untouchable"
"New evidence has arisen-"
"Evidence?"
"They attempted a bombing on an outreach program, T'Challa wants us to get rid of them"
"Lets fucking go then" I said, "we know where they are, we know what they've done - easy job!"
"Grace, I know you want to help-"
"No! I need this Steve. I look like I'm okay but I'm not. I haven't slept more than a few hours since that. And I- I- I think I deserve this! I think I do! I've sat on the sidelines for far too long, watching you all go out and fight the unimaginable. But these are just people - people who threatened to harm my kids. You have no fucking right to tell me that I can't help you in this"
"It's not that I don't think you're capable, I think you are, but you're supposed to be dead Grace. If someone gets away you're done-"
I snapped, bringing my hands down harshly on the table, raising my voice.
"I don't give a fuck! Not a single motherfucking fuck, Steve! You can either let me do this the easy way, or I'm gonna go and kill those sons of bitches all by myself"
"Grace, please just calm down, I just think-"
"I don't care what you think! I'm going wether you like it or not. You're my friend, Steve, and I know you're trying to look out for me. I get it. But you're not understanding - I have to do this. For myself. Just let me have one thing that I can do for myself. My whole life for over 14 years has been for someone else. Clint, the kids, Nat. Let me have this, please"
Tears started welling in my eyes as my frustrations finally got the better of me, collapsing back into my seat. Steve stood in front of me, solemnly crossing his arms.
"Okay" He muttered.
"What was that?" I asked, tilting my head.
"Fine" he groaned
A watery grin broke out on to my face, and I rushed to give him a quick hug.
"Thank you!"

I skipped out of the room happily, only to run into everyone staring at me.
"Uh, hello?"
"We could hear you shouting from down the hall" Sam stated, awkwardly the back of his neck.
"Oh - well - I'm fine" I replied, equally as awkward.
"Did you mean what you said?" Clint asked quietly, placing his hand on my arm.
"No - no of course not - it's fine. I'm fine" I insisted, plastering on a smile, "anyway what's important is that I can come and help, so I'm happy - excuse me for a minute"
I rushed down the hallway, fishing my phone out of my pocket and dialling Shuri's number.
"Hey, all of us are going tonight. Is it okay if you send someone to watch the kids?"
"That's fine. They could come stay with us if you want? I know Lila wanted a tour and I'm sure Nathanael and Cooper would like some of my gadgets" she replied chirpily.
"That would be great - thank you"
"No problem. Good luck tonight"
"Thanks - you too. They can be quite the handful" I joked, before hanging up as I reached the bedroom.

•••

The kids were dancing around to the high school musical soundtrack wildly, Cooper singing along with every word.
"Mum come join us!" Lila shouted, waving me over. I pushed the recent conversation out of my mind, replacing the look of worry with a genuine smile as I danced along as well. Cooper ran over and pretended to hold a microphone in front of my face, gesturing for me to start singing.
"The boys are back, the boys are back! The boys are back, gonna do it again, gonna wake up the neighbourhood" we sang/shouted, prancing around the room in time with the music.
Nathanael stood up and delivered a loud 'yeah', wiggling his head to imitate the riff.
"Sing it Nath!" Lila laughed, clapping his performance.
As the song came to an end, everyone collapsed onto the bed, breathing heavily.
"I just came in here to tell you all that you're going to have a sleepover with Shuri in the castle"
"Seriously?" Lila squealed, "no way!"
"She can show us all her gadgets!" Cooper added, equally as enthusiastic.
"I like her, she's nice" Nathanael contributed quietly, a small grin on his face.
"Oh yeah? How so?" I asked, tickling his sides lightly.
"She said she liked my T-shirt the other day" he gasped, between giggles.
"I think Nathanael has a cruuuush" Cooper teased, grinning widely.
"I do not!" He said, squirming away from me, "Mummy tell him I don't!"
"Come on Coops, it's not nice to tease your brother" Clint said from the doorway, leaning against the frame.
"Come join the pile" I smiled, gesturing to the bed. He lay next to me, his head by mine as he linked our hands, pressing a kiss to my temple.
"What's happening here then?" He asked the kids.
"Life" Cooper said bluntly, a small smirk on his face.
"That's a big topic" he laughed, "what about life?"
"The inevitability of death" Lila added in a similar tone.
"What?"
"I heard Uncle Tony talk about it once when we went to visit the Wanda and Pietro at the compound" Lila explained cheekily, "it sounded like normal boring adult stuff"