024 || woods

•••

•••

The door knocked.
A loud knock that shook the door at the hinges.

Needless to say I shat myself.

Approaching with caution, I crawled towards the window to check who the visitor was, avoiding sight lines into the house.

It was the same man from earlier, wearing the same look of impatience and anger, though this time he was muttering under his breath.

I didn't like it. Not so sure I could trust this guy anymore, I grabbed a pistol with shaking hands and slipped it into the waistband of my joggers, making my way silently to the back door. Grabbing my phone from the counter on the way past, I quietly nudged open the door, rushing into the forest that bordered our land whilst desperately dialling Clint's phone.

When I got no answer I let out an angry sigh, scrolling down my contacts and pressing on Fury.
"Bitch there's a dude at my house and he won't leave" I hissed into the phone, feeling slightly fatigued from my mini escape.
"Are you in the house?"
"No I ran to the woods"
"Stay there"
"What's happening big boy"
"KGB. 3 agents were sent to Iowa last night, could be one of them at your house. Has he seen you?"
"Uh - Yeah? He was injured and I stitched him up earlier... he asked where we were so I told him and then he left"
"You're an idiot - you know that?"
"Well I'm sorry. I thought it would be safe to talk to someone in a fucking safe house"
My voice had now raised to a quiet yell, the stress building up.
"We're on our way, okay? Just - be quiet and don't do anything stupid"
"Nothing stupid - got it" I repeated with a determined nod, glancing around at my surroundings as paranoia coursed through my veins "I feel like someone's watching me"
"You're just anxious - can you see anyone?"
"No i ca- JESUS CHRIST"

The man was stood infront of me with a frown etched on his face.
"Why are you hiding in the woods?"
"Because you're here to kill me?"
I could hear Fury's angry voice echoing from my phone which now lay abandoned on the grass, something along the lines of 'don't talk to the enemy!'
"Wha- I'm not here to kill you. I was asking if you knew how to get from Iowa to New York - you're really paranoid huh. What did you do? Kill someone"
My blood ran cold, my face betraying my thoughts
"Oh - shit - you did. Okay ... I'm going to walk away now -"
"In my defence he was going to kill me, my boyfriend and my friend and then take my baby from me" I said, crossing my arms over my chest.
"What the fuck"
"I know"

He looked at me for a second, before scoffing and holding his hand out to me.
"I'm Tony"
"Grace" I smiled, shaking his hand.
"DONT SWAP NAMES WITH THE ENEMY" Fury bellowed.
"Who's that?" He asked, pointing to the phone
"Oh - thats popeye"
"Okay"

We both heard a rustle, causing me to whip around in panic.
"Someone's here" I whispered, gesturing to Tony to duck down as I picked my phone back up.
"Tony isn't with them - but they're here now" I whispered urgently, earning a huff in response.
"We'll be there in 20 more minutes!" Coulson yelled, "I'm going at max speed I promise"

I drew the gun from my waistband, handing my phone to Tony.
"Just hold this. If they come at us I'll have to shoot. Just a warning - I'm not the best shot and last time the dude wasn't moving"
"How many times have you actually shot a gun?"
"The once"
"Okay that's very reassuring"

•••

We waited in baited silence, minutes lasting as if they were hours. My arms were tense with anticipation, to my right Tony looked like he wanted to run for it.
"Sorry you were dragged in to this" I whispered.
"It's okay - it's quite interesting actually"
I let out a small chuckle, my breath catching as a twig snapped behind us.

I spun around, gun outstretched, only to be met by Nick Fury.
"Took you long enough sugar" I huffed, lowering the gun.
"Don't get me started on you right now" he warned, "just get in to the house, I'll deal with you later"
I stuck my tongue out at him, before telling Tony to follow me back to the house.

"If I were you I'd leave now before he gets back, it's not gonna be pretty"
"That's the reason I came back here - I cant find my driver anywhere, could I use your phone by any chance?"
"Oh sure!" I said, leading him to the home phone, "I'll give you some privacy"

After a few minutes he re-emerged.
"Thanks for that"
"No problem" I smiled, "I'm guessing this is goodbye?"
"Oh - yes. Thank you again for everything, and good luck with the baby" he said giving my belly an awkward tap.
"Thanks" I smiled, giving him a handshake before he jogged down the country track back towards the town.