027 || engaged

•••

•••

"What?"
"I asked you a question"
"I'm sorry" I said, my head swimming, as I lifted my head off his knee, "I'm confused and I think I know what you just said but at the same time I really don't know. Like maybe I just heard you wrong but if I didn't hear you wrong this is a big deal and I can't bel-"
Clint placed his hand over my mouth, muffling my rambling.
"Yes or no" he asked, his eyes swimming with hidden emotion.

I pushed his hand off of my face, to reveal my shit-eating grin, "of course yes you moron"
I leapt onto his lap, straddling him as I placed my forehead on his, tears of happiness soaking my cheeks.
"I don't have the ring on me" he mumbled, "I didn't know I was going to ask you just then"
I laughed at his admission, before realising exactly what he had said.
"Wait - you don't have the ring on you - does that mean you bought me one?"
"A month ago" Clint admitted, avoiding my gaze.

"You, Mr Barton, are the cutest man I've ever slept with" I snorted, booping his nose.
"I'm not cute. I'm manly" he grunted jovially, flexing as if he was in a body building contest.
"I beg to differ"
"Oh really" he growled, pulling me into an encapsulating kiss, his hands roaming all over my body and through my hair.
He stood up, his hands supporting my bum so I wouldn't fall, and made his way upstairs to the bedroom whilst I pressed kisses all the way up his neck.
"I'll show you manly" he grunted, kicking open the bedroom door and throwing me onto the bed.

He certainly did.

•••

I looked at Clint beside me, breathing heavily from the vigorous activity we had finished just seconds before, and traced my finger over his features.
I trailed over his muscles with a small smile, stopping to kiss every scar I came across. He softly sighed, twirling a piece of my hair in his fingers, making my scalp tingle.

Clint suddenly leant over to his bedside cabinet and pulled something out of one of the drawers.
"I guess I should do this properly" Clint said, a small smile playing on his lips as I moved to rest my head on his shoulder, "Grace Mannings, though our relationship didn't have the best of starts, you've stuck by me. Loved me. You've made me love you - which is something I haven't done for a long time. You've embraced my problems as your own - more than I'd like most of the time -"
I scoffed at this, earning a fake glare from Clint.
"- but you're still here. When I first met you, I thought that you were the most beautiful woman I had ever set my eyes on. I do have to thank Nat for giving you my number though, or I think we might still be awkwardly flirting over my coffee purchases -"
I giggled, kissing Clint's cheek lovingly.
" - but I'm so glad we're not. When I look at you now, I see my future. I see a beautiful, strong woman who can boss around one of the scariest men in the world and do it with a smile. I see the mother of my child, caring but ruthless when it comes to protecting her own. I see the love of my life, someone that makes me feel safe, which is something I haven't had in a long time. So," he said holding up the ring so that it was in front of my face "will you marry me?"

A few tears were pooling in my eyes as I nodded ferociously, watching with baited breath as he slipped the ring onto my finger.
"I love you so much" I whispered, attacking his face with small kisses.

I gasped in surprise as I felt the baby kick.
"Did you feel that?" I asked, my hands flying to my stomach.
"What? Is something wrong?"
"I think the baby just kicked"
Clint's hands immediately flew to my stomach.
The baby kicked again.
We made eye contact, both grinning widely.
"I think baby approves" Clint laughed.
"I think baby does"

•••

Another A/N: sorry about these popping up everywhere. I'm at the point in the story where there are 4 big chapters, and then I'm thinking of doing a massive time jump to the beginning of Thor (i think that was Clint's first appearance?). I hope everyone is okay with that :) if not just lemme know