020 || home

•••

•••

"Wait - you mean you're staying home now?" Cooper grinned, clutching onto Clint's arm excitedly.
"I sure am bud"
Lila let out a happy squeal, attaching herself onto his leg, "you can come to my school performance on Monday!" She cried happily, "you haven't been to one in forever"
Clint chuckled slightly, moving Lila from his leg to his hip, his other arm wrapping around Cooper's shoulders.
"I'm also gonna start taking you swimming every weekend"
"Yes!" Cooper said in delight, "I've always wanted to do that"
I stood back and watched the three with a small smile on my face, he was finally home, and this time he was staying.
"Mummy?"
"Yeah Coop?" I asked, kneeling down so my face was close-to level with his.
"Thanks for being daddy home" he whispered, pulling me into a hug.
"I always will bud"

"This is nice" I smiled, my head resting on Clint's chest.
The kids had just gone to bed and we were both lying on the sofa, intertwined with each other as we half-heartedly watched a movie.
"Peaceful" Clint added, braiding some stray stands of hair that had fallen out of my bun.
"Are you going to miss it?"
"I suppose, yeah. The people mostly"
I hummed in response, enjoying his hands fiddling with my hair.
"We can still visit. I'm sure the kids would love to see everyone again. Plus we left 2 kids back at the compound"
"Oh not speedy and witchy" Clint groaned, "that kid will be the death of me"
"He could've been, but he saved you instead so shush"
Clint grunted quietly and I could tell he had his grumpy face on.
"You know, now that you're away all the time, I think some archery lessons are finally in order"
This made him laugh, "you'll never stop asking will you?"
"No. I just think it's an important life skill. You've always said you'll do it 'later'. Well we're almost 2 kids later and I don't see any archery lessons"
Clint just shook his head at me in disbelief.
"Fine"
I squealed happily, adjusting my body to pull him into a kiss.
"After little Nathanael's born"
"Deal. One baby for some archery lessons"
"Jesus, now you've made it sound like I'm asking you to give me a baby as payment"
"Exactly the vibe I was going for" I winked, making Clint scoff.
"Unbelievable"

•••

"Oh my god look at her" Clint cooed quietly, his hand holding mine as we watched Lila dance on the stage dressed as a fairy princess.
"Precious" I smiled, watching her with pride.
Throughout the rest of the performance, Clint seemed to be the proudest dad there, clapping loudly with a massive grin on his face.

"Daddy!" Lila squealed, leaping into his arms, "you came!"
"Of course I did sweetheart" he smiled, tickling her sides. She squealed happily, looking over Clint's shoulder to look at me.
"Mummy did you like it?"
"You looked beautiful Lila" I said, booping her nose, "your dancing has really gotten better!"
Lila's grin widened even more, practically glowing from the praise.
"I can't wait for the next one" she laughed, clapping her hands together happily, "Ms Dixon said that next time I should try out for a speaking role as well as dancing"
"Definitely!" Clint exclaimed, beginning to walk out of the school.
I followed behind, chatting with Lila about what her dream role was.
The pure domesticity of the moment made me smile, liking how normal all of this was. Clint was a perfect dad, caring and kind. Despite his slightly threatening demeanour, he was still all fluff beneath it, a softness reserved for his family.

•••

A/N: sorry that this one's a bit short. There are longer ones coming after this