035 || rescue

•••

•••

"I think she actually thought she was going to get away" the tall man chuckled, leaning against the wall threateningly.
My eyes shot open, breath catching as I felt a strong pressure around my neck.
"Silly bitch"
"Ah, look. I think she's just realised she's going to die" the shorter man chuckled, looking at me with a glint of amusement in his eyes.
"You sick bastards! How many times do I have to tell you that I have no fucking ide-"
One of the men had been walking over to me, slapping me once again, this time making the large gash on my cheek weep with more blood.
I let out a small laugh, feeling slightly hysterical, "you're gonna be sorry"
"Was that a threat? Did you seriously just threaten us"
This time the man picked up a piece of metal, slamming it hard into the side of my face, the incessant headache returning.
"If i wanted to be skullfucked I'd ask my bloody husband" I spat, blood pouring out from where I had bitten my tongue, "so please kindly stop fucking hitting me with metal fucking beams every time I speak"
"Shut up" the man growled again, hitting me in the same spot once more.
"You have no idea what you're doing. You realise that right? You can beat me. Kill me. Nothing changes. I am a nobody"
"Oh really? We did some looking whilst you've been out. Tracked down Cooper, Lila and your little precious Nathanael" the tall man sneered, circling around me like a predator stalking its prey, "they're just in that room over there. We would've taken your other kids as well but they're locked up with your husband in a state prison"
My chest was heaving as I tried to stop hyperventilating, my eyes stuck on the door he had pointed to. they had to be lying - there was no way Fury wouldn't go and get them. I could trust him, nevertheless I bought into their act.
"You'll have to kill me before you touch them"
"How heroic" he sighed, looking over to his companion, "of course, we'll need to keep you alive just a little longer"
"What" I hissed "if you're gonna kill me just do it already!"
"Ah Ah Ah. Where would be the fun in that. Besides, if you won't tell us where the soldier is, he'll just have to come to us" he continued, turning around to face the opposite wall, back turned to me, "isn't that right Captain America"
I looked at him like he was crazy, until I noticed the camera set up on the tripod, the lens directed at me.
"You messed-up fucks!" I yelled at the camera, "don't come for me! Get the kids and go!"
"Shut the fuck up"

I let out a pained gasp as the man yanked the rope up, pulling my neck and cutting off my airway. Struggling to stand on tiptoes, I managed to take in small shallow breaths, closing my eyes as I accepted the reality of the situation.
"Motherfucker" I whispered, trying to reduce the pull on my neck as I adjusted my stance.
"You have half an hour to find her or she dies" the man growled into the camera.
"When will you get it through your thick skulls. No one's coming for me" I hissed, focusing on remaining on tiptoes.
"Oh they will come" the man smiled evilly, walking towards me, "because if not, we'll kill you"
A harsh punch was delivered to my side, a searing pain blooming from the fast-forming bruise.
"Are you clinically insane or just incredibly annoying?"
All I could do was wait.

•••

My laugh seemed erratic and out of character, so much so that I didn't recognise it as it escaped my lips. 
"I told you" I grinned, my hands holding the wire that was wrapped around my neck, "they ain't coming for me"
The tall man let out an angry growl, kicking my knee and twisting it painfully.
"Just do it already" I grunted, staring him in the eyes, "I'm not gonna beg"
He turned around, directly facing the camera.
"Well it seems like you've made your decision Captain". He nodded at his friend, who had moved to stand next to a red lever.
"Time to see what that means"

As if on cue, a loud explosion echoed throughout the halls, shaking the mouldy walls.
"Imagine that" I giggled, watching their shocked faces, "I guess someone does care"
The two men exchanged looks as a third man I had never seen before rushed into the room.
"There's a whole lot of 'em. We gotta scram"
With one last menacing look at me, the man next to the lever pulled it upwards, before rushing after his friends.
Immediately, the rope was pulled up to the ceiling, the only reason I wasn't fully choking being the few fingers I had managed to hook under he wire. Black spots were entering my vision as I called out for help, my vision disappearing completely as I heard footsteps running into the room.
"Fucking hell Grace"