020 || radio

•••

•••

We had stolen a car and were currently driving to our next hit. The silence was stifling, so I reached over to turn on the radio, piano man by Billy Joel filtering into the car. Matching smiles rised to our faces, Clint catching my eye with his first genuine laugh in weeks.
'Our song' I signed.
He nodded, relaxing back into his chair slightly, eyes still set on the road.
"its nine o'clock on a Saturday" I began, seeing his grin grow from the corner of my eye, "the regular crowd shuffles in"
"There's an old man sitting next to me, making love to his tonic and gin" he continued quietly, my smile widening massively as I heard him join in.
As we approached the chorus I noticed Clint shuffle in his seat, readjusting himself so he was sitting more upright.
"SING US A SONG, YOURE THE PIANO MAN" we sang loudly, Clint laughing as I moved myself dramatically, my head snapping back as I belted the lyrics, "SING US A SONG TONIGHT. COS WE'RE ALL IN THE MOOD FOR A MELODY AND YOUVE GOT US FEELING ALRIGHT!"
His laughter was music to my ears, his eyes crinkling in joy as we sang our hearts out, our voices mingling in a pleasant harmony as our heartache slowly melted away for those few fleeting moments.

"Hey, Grace. Come over here a minute" Clint chuckled, patting the back of the truck which was now covered in a blanket with a few scattered pillows on top.

He had taken me out for our 'first date' after moving in together, taking the short drive up to a hillside, a place where the stars shined brightly above us.

"That's so cute" I giggled, jumping onto the back of the truck and settling down next to him, our fingers intertwining as he pulled me closer.
"Look" he whispered, breath hitting the side of my face, my cheeks heating up from his closeness. Ignoring my burning cheeks, I followed his eye-line just in time to see a meteor shower burst across the starry sky. A gasp escaped my lips as I watched in awe, only tearing my eyes away as I felt an intense gaze on the side of my face.
"What?" I asked shyly, meeting his eyes for the second time that night.
"You're just so gorgeous" he grinned, his finger dipping under my chin, pulling me closer, until your lips finally touched.
Piano Man started to play over the radio as we pulled away from each other, readjusting so my head was rested against his broad shoulder.
Those were the simple times. Young and so utterly in love.

•••

'How's the leg?' Clint signed, his eyes darting over to me as I collapsed onto the motel bed.
'Lemme check' I signed back, before peeling back the dressing, hissing as it caught slightly on my skin. A relieved sigh escaped my lips as I noticed no infection, gesturing for Clint to pass me my bag. I quickly signed a thank you as I reached into the bag and pulled out my medical kit, getting a fresh bandage to wrap firmly around my leg. Just as I was about to start, calloused hands halted my actions, taking the bandage from me and kneeling in front of me to apply it himself.
Offering me a soft smile, his fingers lightly danced over my leg as he began to carefully cover the wound, tongue bitten between his teeth in concentration. Warmth filled my chest as I watched him, my hand reaching to cup his cheek as he tied off the bandage, his head leaning into my palm slightly. He glanced up at me, moving to press a lingering kiss to my forehead, moving away silently afterwards.

A frown had settled on my face, wishing for his touch. Without a second thought, I sprung up from the bed and stormed over to Clint, swiftly pulling him into a deep kiss. Our tongues clashed in a practiced dance, my hand running over his newly shaved hair, before trailing down to cup his cheeks. Clint's hands gripped my hips tightly, pulling away for air.
His confused eyes searched mine desperately, as if searching for an answer for my behaviour.
"Please" I whispered, tugging on his shirt as my voice wavered with my desperation.
In that moment he understood. He recognised how much I was craving a sense of normalcy, of hope, of the love that we once shared.
After what looked like an internal battle, Clint backed me up against the wall, crashing our lips back together with force, pouring all his pent up emotions into the kiss.
"Bed. Now" he growled, tight grip on my hips lessening.
"Yes sir" I winked, rushing off to the bedroom.