033 || futurist

Quick note: please don't hate me

Quick note: please don't hate me. Thanks :))

•••

Clint's head snapped up as he heard the metallic doors open, a familiar figure walking slowly in.
"The Futurist, gentlemen! The Futurist is here! He sees all! He knows what's best for you, whether your like it or not." He said sarcastically, the slow clap echoing ominously around the circular prison's walls.
"Give me a break, Barton. I had no idea they'll put you here. Come on." Tony replied, a small frown on his face.
"Yeah, well, you knew they'd put us somewhere, Tony" Clint spat, turning to make eye contact with the billionaire.
"Yeah, but not some super-max floating ocean pokey. You know, this place is for maniacs. This is a place for..."
"Criminals? Criminals, Tony. Think that's the word you're looking for. Right? That didn't used to mean me. Or Sam, or Wanda, or Pietro. But here we are"
"Because you broke the law. I didn't make you"
Clint started to drown him out by loudly singing 'lala' repeatedly, not wanting to listen to any excuses.
"You read it, you broke it." Tony said, raising his voice. This, of course, only made Clint sing even louder.
"Alright, you're all grown up, you got a wife and kids. I don't understand, why didn't you think about them before you chose the wrong side?"
Clint scoffed at the low blow, walking up to the bars.
"Grace agreed with me, and either way I am with my kids" he said, gesturing to the twins who were stuffed into insanity suits "they don't deserve to be locked in those. They're not seasoned criminals Tony, but that's what you're letting 'em see"
Tony sighed, walking away from his cell.
"You gotta watch your back with this guy. There's a chance he's gonna break it" Clint yelled at his retreating figure, slamming his hand against the bars. He watched as Tony made his way over to Wilson, eyes wandering until his gaze fixed upon the opposite wall where Pietro and Wanda were locked up.
Wanda's hair fell limply down by the sides of her face, dark circles under her eyes as she sat in an uncomfortable looking position. The usual spark in her eye was gone, replaced instead with an empty look that reflected her inner turmoil.
In the cell to her left was Pietro. The teenager's legs were bouncing up and down restlessly, his hands strapped down by his sides. Clint could see that not being able to move was making the boy go insane. Normally he couldn't stand being still for a few seconds at a time, his behaviour almost seeming hyperactive.

His attention was ripped away from the two as a weird noise rang out from within the room, bringing his focus back to Tony and Sam's conversation.
"Oh, I just knocked the 'A' out of their 'AV'. We got about 30 seconds before they realise it's not their equipment" Tony said smugly, his fingers on his watch, "Just look. Because that is the fellow who was supposed to interrogate Barnes. Clearly, I made a mistake. Sam, I was wrong."
Clint narrowed his eyes at the hologram of the dead man, a small smile coming to his face. He was fighting for the right side.
"That's a first." Sam said, slight humour in his tone.
"Cap is definitely off the reservation but he's about to need all the help he can get. We don't know each other very well. You don't have to..."
"Hey, it's alright. Look, I'll tell you... but you have to go alone and as a friend"
"Easy"
Sam relayed the coordinates, Tony nodding inconspicuously.

Once he had the information, Tony turned to Clint, making sure the sound was still cut.
"Clint I'm sorry for what I'm about to tell you, just know that we got there -"
Tony was cut off by his watch, telling him the audio was back online.
"Clint, I don't know how to tell you this" he sighed, walking so he was facing the archer directly.
"What? Is something wrong at home?" Clint asked urgently, his hand wrapping around the bars on the door.
Tony nodded, averting his eyes.
"Grace was taken a few days ago, some rival gang who was against what Steve is doing somehow found out about her. She - she died saving the kids Clint"
Clint held back a sob, his chest suddenly heavy.
"No!" Wanda wailed, breaking her silence as she sobbed.
"Where - where are they?"
"The kids are okay. I've hidden them in a safe house for now, they're with people I trust. Clint I'm really sorry -"
The archer slammed his fist against the bars, his voice cracking as he yelled, "HOW DID THIS HAPPEN. SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SAFE THERE"
"I - I don't know"
Pietro's quiet voice drifted over from the opposite side of the room, thick with tears, "did she suffer"
Tony faltered slightly, his mind flashing to the state he last saw Grace. That was all Pietro needed, letting out a shout of rage.
Clint felt himself collapse on to the bed, his head falling into his hands.
"What did they do?"
All eyes swivelled back to the assassin, his arms shaking.
"Are you sure -"
"Just tell me Tony"
"They beat her up and then they -" Tony broke off, coughing to clear the sudden lump in his throat, "they hung her Clint. We got there too late"
Sam gasped in the cell beside Clint, the horrible image whirling around in his head.
"Did you catch them?" Scott asked, feeling rage for the death of a woman he had never met.
"One got away, but we got the other two. Nick - nick had to carry her body out-"
Now it was Tony's turn to break, trying desperately to swallow down the emotion he was feeling.

Everyone fell silent as Clint sobs echoed through the prison, his resolve finally breaking.
"I just thought that I should be the one to tell you" Tony said gently, his gaze dropping to the floor in shame.
He received no response, the sobbing still vibrating around the room as the billionaire was escorted out.