006 || family

•••

•••

It was a Sunday afternoon when I heard it.
I had just put Lila down for a nap and Cooper was over his friend Ben's house, so the sudden noise shocked me. The mystery faded, however, as the familiar sound of a jet touching down reverberated around the walls.
I was moving in an instant, rushing towards the door, checking the windows as I went.

"Oh thank god" I wept, swinging the door open and running full pelt into Clint's arms. We sank to the ground as we hugged, remaining entwined I whispered thanks over and over again, my head resting on his shoulder as I cried.
"Hey, Hey, it's okay" Clint repeated quietly in my ear, brushing his fingers through my hair as he held me. I could hear he was choked up from the way his voice cracked slightly.
I eventually broke from the embrace and rested my forehead against his.
"Never do that again" I said, trying to be threatening (I'm pretty sure the heaving sobs didn't help the image I was going for).
"I'll try" he chuckled, pressing another desperate kiss to my lips.

We eventually broke from the hug, and I pulled him into the house, wiping my tears as I walked.
"Lila's upstairs" I told him, smiling as he rushed to her room, "I'm sure she won't mind you waking her up"
A relieved grin spread across Clint's face, kissing my temple before he rushed to our daughters room.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Nat turn around and go back into the jet.
"Bitch wait!" I called, running back outside and wrestling her into a hug, "I didn't see you there - I missed you too"
She laughed into the hug, "not as much as Clint though - Hey that was not me asking for a kiss"
"Oh hush" I giggled, pressing kisses on to her cheeks like a Frenchwoman.
"Piss off" she groaned, pretending to try and escape my hold (she could overpower me easily) as I continued.
"I missed my favourite ginger" I teased, poking her cheek.

Both of us paused as we heard a delighted shriek echo from the house.
"Lila's awake" Nat chuckled.
"You coming in?"
"I should let you-"
"Shut up. You're part of this dysfunctional family. The quicker you learn that the easier it'll be" I grinned, patting her shoulder as I walked past into the house, "God Natasha I thought you were supposed to be the smart one here, take a hint!"
If I had turned around, I would've seen the happy tear that escaped Natasha's eye before she came running after me.

"AUNTIE NAT" Lila screeched, scrambling from her dad's arms to launch herself at her godmother.
"Hey there printsessa" she laughed, using her Russian term of endearment which she had reserved for Lila.
"You and daddy haven't been home in so long" she squealed, bouncing up and down with newfound energy despite the lack of sleep.
"Well theyre here now, and we have about an hour before I have to pick Cooper up" I smiled.
Lila gasped, slapping her cheeks with her hands.
"Tea party" she whispered, before zooming to the stairs and clambering up them hap-hazardly, before setting off to collect her tea set from her room.
Clint looked at me with an amused glance.
"Tea parties are her new thing" I shrugged, an obvious grin on my face.

"Why yes please" Nat said enthusiastically, accepting the fake-tea (water) from the toy teapot. Lila giggled, before pouring some tea into Clint cup as well.
The view was almost comical. Clint and Natasha were holding tiny cups as they were hunched on the ground around the toy coffee table, accepting imaginary treats from a 3 year old. I sneakily took a photo, a fond smile on my face as I watched them.
Checking the clock, I realised I was late for Cooper.
"I'll be back in a bit - don't do anything silly. Lila you're in charge" I laughed as I exited the house.

•••

"You hear that? I'm a big girl now" Lila giggled happily as she picked some plastic food from her little hamper "who's hungry?"
"Oh I am!" Clint said, catching Nat's eye as she sent him a goofy grin "can I have some cake please?"
"Of course" Lila smiled, handing him a fake slice of cake, before turning to Natasha, "what would you like auntie Nat?"
Nat hummed, tapping her chin animatedly as she pretended to think.
"Can I have a waffle?"
Lila rummaged through the hamper, "Sorry we don't have waffles. I can make you pancakes though?"
"Yummy" Nat smiled, holding her plate out for her.

Though neither of them would say it, this is exactly what they needed after big missions. A sense of normalcy, some domestic scene where they knew they were safe and protected to relax. Even the small act of having a tea party with his daughter was something Clint knew he would never take for granted, as amongst his busy schedule and frantic lifestyle, it was a moment to breathe. To enjoy life as a father. To feel normal.
It was the same for Natasha. She saw the Barton's as her family (though she would never admit it to Grace) and loved their kids like they were her own. Due to her training in the red room she knew she could never have kids, but being an aunt in Cooper and Lila's lives was enough for her.

They played with Lila for another half hour, until Cooper came rushing through the door.
"DADDY!" He screeched, jumping onto Clint's back in joy.
"Hey there buddy" Clint laughed, reaching his arms around to pat Cooper on the head.
"Auntie Nat!" Cooper cried, not noticing she was there too "it's been ages!"
Cooper tackled her into a hug, earning an 'oof' noises from the assassin.
"I missed you too"