004 || free

•••

•••

Clint was trapped, trapped inside his own mind.
One scenario played on a constant loop in his brain, taunting him.
He couldn't save his family.
It was the same every time.

The wind battered against the farmhouse's walls as Loki descended, a sinister smile on his lips.
"Bring them to me"
Without hesitation, Clint moved into the house, his motions fluid and cat-like. Without hesitation he grabbed Cooper and Lila, looking through them as if they weren't there.
"Daddy? Daddy!" They cried, hammering on his chest with their little fists as he carried them out to where Loki stood.
"Well done pet. Now find the girl"
With a submissive nod, Clint dropped the children and went back into the house.
Grace was smiling, running towards him happily.
"You're home earl-"
She was cut off as Clint punched her, halting her movements.
"Clint?"
Another punch. Followed by another, and another. When she was unresponsive, he lifted her up and threw her unceremoniously in front of the God.
"Momma!" Lila cried pitifully, crawling over to the limp body.
"Daddy do something!" Cooper screamed.
Clint just stood there, unmoving.
One by one, the sceptres touched their chests, turning their eyes blue.

Brainless puppets for Loki to use in his big show. Unwilling participants in Earth's biggest attack to date.
All trapped screaming inside their own heads.

•••

Nat stood in front of him.
Clint was frantic inside as his body moved to attack her, desperately clawing for some control. Like all other attempts, he failed miserably and had to watch as he fought his best friend. Just as he thought he was winning, knife to Nat's throat, he was thrown headfirst in to a metal pole.
Clint felt control rush back, the former block weakened.
"Natasha" he breathed, being met with a punch to the face.

When he woke up he noticed he was tied to a bed, shackles around his wrists. He was also writhing in pain, fighting off the remaining control Loki still had over his mind.
Sweat dripped down his arms as he shook his head, trying to rid himself of the hazy blur that Loki's spell had left behind.
"Clint. You're gonna be alright"
"You know that?" He wheezed, fists still clenching, "is that what you know?"
He angled his head back, "I've got no window ... need to ... flush him out"
"You've gotta level out it'll take time" Nat said, pouring some water into a glass as she glanced at Clint.
He was covered in sweat, face clenching in pain every now and then as Loki tried to reclaim control.

"You don't understand, I -" he croaked, his chest heaving for air "you ever had someone take your brain and play? Pull you out - and stuff something else in?"
He paused for a minute, craning his neck to look at Natasha, "you know what it's like to be unmade?"
"You know that I do" She replied, turning her head to look at him.
They were silent for a bit, Clint heavy breaths filling up the space.
"How am I back?" Clint asked suddenly, "how did you get him out?"
"Cognitive recalibration" Nat said, moving to sit on the bed "I hit you really hard in the head"
"Thanks"
His blatant honesty made Nat smile, reaching over to uncuff him from the bed.
Clint kept a strong gaze on the redhead's face as she moved.
"Natasha - how many agents -"
"Don't. Don't do that to yourself Clint. That was Loki. This is monsters and magic and nothing we were ever trained for"
"Loki - he get away?"
"Yeah, don't suppose you know where?"
"Didn't need to know, didn't need to ask"
Nat sighed quietly, getting up from the bed as Clint swung his legs around to sit up, picking up the glass Nat had filled up earlier.
"He's gonna make his play soon though. Today." Clint said.
"We've gotta stop him"
"Yeah? Who's we?"
"I don't know, whoever's left"
"Well I- if I put an arrow through Loki's eyeball I'd sleep better I suppose" Clint shrugged, earning a laugh from Nat.
"Now you sound like you" she smiled, sitting next to him.

He went to return the smile, before panic spread through him, making him jump up from his seat.
"Grace! Cooper and Lila are they safe? Did they know I was-"
"Clint, calm down" Nat said, placing her hands on his shoulders "your wife is a piece of work. She stormed in here to speak to Loki when she found out, she met Tony but apparently they already know each other. Talked Fury's ear off in-front of the avengers until she got kicked out and sent back home"
His body relaxed slightly, letting his head drop.
"Should I call-"
"Not yet. You know she'll come barrelling in. The last thing we need is the kids anywhere near us, we're still Loki's targets" she reasoned.
Clint sighed at her logic, guilt squirming in his stomach as he thought of how Grace must be feeling.
"Let's go get that fucker"