024 || bet

•••

•••

I was sat out on the front porch, my legs swinging slightly as they couldn't touch the ground, baby monitor turned on next to me. It was roughly midday, and Nathanael had been really fussy for the past few hours, so I had to pass him over to Clint before I lost my mind.
His low voice drifted through the monitor, accompanied by Nathanael's soft babbles. Slowly the voices got less frequent, until the faint cooing noises stopped all together.

I looked over my shoulder as I heard footsteps approaching, Clint sitting down next to me.
"He finally went down for a nap" he sighed, resting his head on my shoulder.
"Finally"
I felt him intertwine our hands, smiling softly as I pressed a kiss to his forehead. We sat in silence for a few minutes, just enjoying each other's company.
"Hey Clint?"
"Yeah"
"Your name is literally one letter away from Clit. How have I never noticed that?"
He groaned, burying his face further into my shoulder, "never tell Tony that or he'll never stop"
I sniggered slightly, imagining the taunting Clint would have to endure.
"As for never noticing it, you're not that observant"
"Oh really? I'm very observant thanks, plus I'm smarter than you"
"Bullshit" he grinned, poking my side.
"Try me"
"You really think you can outsmart me?"
"Hell fucking yes I do"
"Bet on it"
"Okay, sir, loser has to do the grocery shopping tomorrow"
"Oh - you're on" Clint grinned, shaking my hand firmly. I used his grip to pull him closer to me, so our faces were just barely touching.
"You're going down Robin Hood"
"Bring it on Maid Marion"

"Rock, paper, scissors"
"Fuck!"
We revealed our hands at the same time, and I beat him rock against scissors
I snickered, whooping happily, "Off to the shops honey"
"You cheated"
"How the fuck do you cheat at rock paper scissors"
"I don't know how, but you just did"
I pouted, walking forward and squishing his cheeks in between my hands, "is Clint mad at me, awww look at little Clint getting sad"
"Piss off" he chuckled, pushing my hands away from his face, "I'm never challenging you again"
"Smart choice" I winked, climbing over his legs so I was straddling him "I can be quite challenging"
"Grace this isn't fair"
I just hummed, pressing light kisses to the side of his neck.
"I swear, you know what happens when you tease me"
"But do I? Can't remember" I said, continuing my assault on his neck.
"That's it"
Clint stood up, holding my ass to stop me from falling, before storming inside and up the stairs.
"Shh the baby's asleep"
"Well then you're just gonna have to be as quiet as possible aren't you?" He grinned, before softly throwing me on to the bed, his hands resting on my knees, "wouldn't want to wake him"

•••

Clint huffed as he ambled through the shopping aisles, a crinkled list clenched in his left fist. Pure boredom bounced through his brain as he stared at the cereals lining the wall.
'I used to be fighting aliens, and here I am choosing which fucking cereal the kids will eat for the next few weeks' He thought, throwing a random cereal into the trolley.
Internally chuckling at his change in fate, he continued to move the trolley through the maze of products, the quiet music acting as a backing track to his failure.
He was definitely not betting on this again.

•••

"Hey GI Joe"
"What is it this time Ace"
"You know how Clint's birthday is coming up?"
"Yeah?"
"Do you think you could ask Tony to hold it at his tower?"
"Why don't you ask him?"
"Because you can force him to do it"
"Grace, you're forgetting how scary you can be, I'm sure you'll be fine"
I sighed, "fine. Bye bitch"

I swiftly hung up, scrolling through my contacts until clicking Tony's name. After a few rings, he picked up.
"Y'hello"
"Omg ironman I'm such a big fan"
"Give it a rest Grace" he laughed, and I could hear him shaking his head, "What's the occasion?"
"Clint's birthdays coming up"
"And?"
"well who better than my favourite Avenger with attitude problems to fix us up"
"You flatter me, but yeah I should be able to work my magic. One promise - you have to get shitfaced"
"Oh trust me, after over 10 months of not drinking? I'm going to be trashed very quickly"
"Perfect"
"Why the need to get me drunk all of a sudden?"
"I feel like you'll be a fun drunk is all"
"Oh honey, you have no idea"