028 || consult

•••

•••

"I declare war!" Cooper yelled, cocking the nerf gun in his hands as he barrelled into the room.
"You're on little man!" Natasha replied, shooting at him with the foam bullets.
Lila just let out a scream, jumping on the sofa as she unleashed the rapid-firing bullets onto Cooper and Natasha, hitting them consistently.
I sent Clint a smirk, both of us hiding behind kitchen counter. With a nod, we strode out from our hiding place, showering everyone with bullets, Nathanael clapping from his high chair.
"TIME OUT" Cooper yelled, halting everyone's actions, "out of bullets"
For a brief moment everyone stood still, before diving towards the stray nerf bullets that may abandoned on the floor.

Halfway through our second round my phone rang, and after a brief plea for a truce I ran out from my hiding place and into the other room to answer it.
"Hello?"
"Grace, I need to call in a favour"
"Im kind of in the middle of a nerf fight. What is it?"
"We found a girl. She was injured and looked lost so I brought her back to the tower with me. I don't know what to do next"
"Let me guess. You need my motherly nature?" I teased, "you know Steve can be a very motherly person don't you?"
"I think seeing a super soldier up close might not be the nicest wake-up call"
"Fair enough. Send me a jet then"
"I already did, should be there in a few minutes"
"Oh - okay let me just tell Clint. Will I be staying long?"
"We have clothes over here you won't need to worry - and did you say nerf fight?"
"Yes I did. see you soon Stark"

•••

"Your favourite blonde is here" I announced jokingly, walking into the Avenger's common room.
"Grace? What are you doing here?" Sam asked, peering at me over the back of the sofa.
"Tony called me about the girl he found"
"Makes sense" he laughed, "the twins are out on a mission with Steve at the moment, they should be back by tonight. Rhodey's sulking somewhere" he explained, noticing my wandering eyes.
"Okay" I smiled, "Where is the rich bastard then?"
"Right here" Tony grinned, strutting into the room, "shall we?"
I looped my arm through his extended one, "we shall"
He explained the situation as we walked, telling me that they had no idea who the girl was but that she was definitely not normal.
"She was surrounded by a cocoon of butterflies. Like what kind of fairy crap is that?" Tony asked, opening the doors of the hospital wing.
"That sounds like some crazy shit" I agreed, glimpsing into the room, "do i just wait for her to wake up?"
Tony nodded, letting me in the room, giving me a cheeky wave before leaving.
I sighed, sitting back into the chair next to the bed and waited.

•••

It was roughly an hour later when she moved, shooting upwards in the bed, her eyes flaring.
She was definitely older than Cooper, but must still be in high school.
"Nice to see you're awake"
Her head shot to the side, staring at me for a few seconds. Her cheeks were flushed and her blonde hair fell around her face like curtains.
"Where am I?" She croaked.
"The Avenger's compound. Tony found you passed out on the side of the road, you had quite a few injuries" I answered honestly, offering the girl a small smile.
"Who are you?"
"I'm Grace Barton, lovely to meet you. What's your name?"
"J-Jessica, Jessica King"
I stood up to give the girl a glass of water, her voice sounding raspy from lack of water.
"Do you have any family to call? They found you alone"
"No I don't"
"Oh?"
"They died yesterday"

•••

"You always knew how to pick them" I said, rolling my eyes at Tony, "she seems docile, but surprisingly cool with the fact that her parents died yesterday. Is no one else finding that a bit weird?"
"People deal with grief differently" Sam pointed out, "maybe she's in shock"
I shrugged, "either way she agreed to stay here for the time being and is happy to explain why you found her like you did"
Rhodey nodded, satisfied, "thanks Grace"
"No worries" I smiled, "just don't scare her off Tony. You might have to tone down ..."
I trailed off, gesturing towards him.
"Gee thanks"
"You're welcome" I winked, "I should be going now, I have a nerf war to finish"