002 || call

•••

•••

"I came here as soon as I could" I said, rushing into the conference room.
"Where are the kids"
"With Nancy, she agreed to look after them for a few days"
"Can you trust Nancy?"
"Oh come on Nick not everyone's trying to kill us - why did you call me here"
"There's no easy way to say this-" he said, stammering slightly as he saw the rage behind my eyes
"Just say it!" I exclaimed
"Clint's been compromised"
"Compromised?"
"He's been taken by Loki-"
"What the fuck does a Norse God need my husband for!?" I shouted, slamming my hand on the desk angrily.
"We think he's still alive -"
"You think? You think!? Oh that's fucking brilliant. You think that Clint's still alive. That's just perfect"
Nick ignored my outburst and carried on
"Loki has a sceptre that changes people's alliances. He tried to kill me"
"Wait what"
"He's being controlled, a puppet if you will"
"Great! That's great! Why aren't you fixing it?" I exclaimed, my tone sounding slightly insane as my pitch got higher.
"We're going to -"

I held my hand up to stop him, taking a deep breath before borderline shouting everything I had kept inside for the past few months.
"You do realise, that my husband has missed out on 2 birthdays, one anniversary and several parents evenings/school events in the past three months. You've been overworking him to the point where I hardly see him anymore! I'm fucking terrified that our relationship is going to go to shit"
"Grace-"
"No. Shush. Angry mum talking. I knew what I was in for when I agreed to move in with Clint, and it was fine, things were good - great actually. But that all changes when kids are in the equation. I have to be okay 100% of the time, because if they see I'm worried, you can bet they will be too"
I stopped myself before I could get too emotional, my next sentence coming out in a more composed monotonous manner.
"Who let this happen?"
"Excuse me?"
"Who was with him when he was captured"
"I was there bu-"
"So you - you - you what, let him get taken?" I stammered "You were right there and you didn't try to get him back? Of course not! He's just an asset to you! Forget the fact that you're the godfather to his children. Forget the fact that he put his utter faith in you, despite the damage it's caused him over the years-"

That was when Fury finally broke. He leapt out of his seat and brought his hand down so forcefully on the table that it smashed.
"I DID WHAT I COULD" he roared, his eye wide open in anger "THE BUILDING WAS MINUTES FROM COLLAPSING, THE TESSERACT WAS BEING STOLEN AND I WAS BEING SHOT AT BY HIM!"
I took a small step back, anger still coursing through my veins as I felt my fists clench.
"I tried! But we're not used to going up against Gods. People with technology like that? We weren't ready" he said in a slightly calmer tone.
"Can you get him back" I asked tearfully, my anger fading away slightly as it was replaced by overwhelming worry.
"I can't. But they can" he replied, handing me a folder, "normally I wouldn't be able to show any outsiders what's inside this file but considering Clint was drafted into it, I can get around it"

I stared at the folder in front of me, flipping it open. Inside were headshots of multiple people, including Clint and Natasha.
"The avengers initiative" I read aloud, looking up at Fury in confusion, before reading through more of it.
"Okay I've got to admit this is cool - but how will this help Clint?"
"They're the best heroes we know of. If we put them all on one team - just imagine the possibilities-"
"Does Nat know?"
"Yes"
"How's she handling it?"
"Blankly, as always" he replied stoically, "she's in her room if you want to talk to her. If anyone asks, you were here to discuss governmental matters, they shouldn't pry"
"Yes sir numbnuts"
"Bye goldielocks"

•••

"Nat?" I called, tapping on her door gently.
She groaned in response, the doors lock opening. I pushed open the door, stepping in grimly.
Nat was curled up in a ball, dried tears on her cheeks as she stared up at the ceiling. I could tell she was in her blame cycle by the way her hair hung tousled around her face due to her scraping her fingers through it repeatedly.
"Hey" I whispered, sitting next to her, "this was not your fault"
"I wasn't there" she replied in a hoarse voice, still refusing to look at me, "I should've been there with him but I took a day off"
There was a bitter undertone to her speech, the hurt and guilt breaking forward.
"No" I pulled her into a hug, a few tears slipping down my cheek, "this was not your fault. Loki is a dickhead and we need to fight him to get Clint back"
Nat pulled away instantly, uncurling herself from her ball and forcefully placing her hands on my shoulder.
"You're not fighting" she deadpanned.
"Why not? I know some moves and I'm fucking angry"
"You can't leave Cooper and Lila! What if you get hurt? If I couldn't save Clint I'm sure as Hell gonna save you" she ranted "besides, you only know a few moves. Clint has been trained since he was a child and he was still caught! You don't stand a chance!"
"Gee thanks, you really know how to fill a girl with confidence" I muttered, slightly insulted but glad to see the fire reignited in her eyes.
"Promise me" she growled.

Holding my hands up in surrender I nodded, before pulling her into another hug.
"You've got this" I whispered, my tone strong.