Chapter Two

"Thank you for breakfast," I thanked her, my mouth stuffed with pancakes. Lance walked down the stairs, and nearly ran to the counter.

"You made bacon!" He shouted as he quickly took a seat next to me. We finished our food, and thanked Mom again for breakfast. We grabbed our backpacks off of the couch, and headed out the door to Lance's car.

Lance is my older brother. We are only one year apart, and we are super close with one another. I got into the passenger side of the car as soon as he unlocked the doors. He got in after me, and stuck his backpack in the back seat. He inserted the keys into the ignition, and started the engine. He drove a silver Hyundai Elantra. I scanned through the radio stations until I found something decent to listen to.

"You excited for senior year?" I asked, not looking away from the window. Lance was even less happy about us moving to California than I was. I don't blame him though. What seventeen year old wants to transfer to a new school right before senior year?

"Leah, you know that I'm not." He sighed. He seemed so aggravated.

"Are you excited for school?" He asked me, cocking his head to me. I sat there thinking about it. It must have been a while, because Lance had to snap me out of my daydream.

"Uh, Leah?" He waved his right hand in front of my face, his left remained on the wheel. We pulled up to a red light.

"No, I'm not excited. I have no friends, and I have no idea where I'm going."

We turned left after the light, and drove into the parking lot of the school. The sign in front of the building read, 'Chino Hills High School' in big orange letters. I guess the school colors were orange and blue. Lance circled the lot until we found a place to park. We parked, and stepped out of the car. I took my phone from my pocket to check the time, and to silence it. The clock read 8:18 a.m. School started at 8:25.

Lance and I stopped simultaneously on the curb in front of his car. We turned our heads and looked at each other. We sighed, and stepped off of the curb. We walked towards the school together in silence. We didn't talk, so all that could be heard were the murmurs of high school students all around us. We reached the building, and Lance held the door open for me. We walked in together, and after one step inside, we stopped again.