Chapter Forty Nine

Cameron's POV:

I didn't stay long enough for them to notice me, and I certainly didn't stay long enough to pick up the pieces of my broken heart. 

I ran out of Nash's bedroom, nearly stumbling down the stairs. I didn't stay in the house long enough for Hayes to ask why I left in such a rush, either. 

I ran out the front door and all the way out to my car. I got inside and slammed the door. I locked myself in and threw my head into my hands. I dropped the keys into my lap, and sunk down in my seat.

How could they do this to me?

I overwhelmed myself and broke down. I sat in my locked car, parked in front of Nash's house unable to catch my breath. 

I decided that I couldn't stay there any longer, so I grabbed my keys from my lap. I shoved them into the ignition and revved the engine before speeding out of Nash's neighborhood. I didn't know where I was going, and I didn't really care. I just drove.

I thought things were going so well.

Just this morning I thought to myself about how lucky I am that my two favorite people in this world get along so well.

Just a little too well.

I got onto the highway and pressed my foot on the gas pedal. I was going well over the speed limit, and the thought that I could get pulled over at any given second didn't phase me. I pressed harder, and harder. Nearly putting the pedal to the metal.

My engine roared, and I flew past cars as if I were in a high speed chase and the police were coming up on my tail.

My vision was starting to blur, but that didn't stop me from crying. I didn't want to hurt anyone, so I thought it best to get off of the highway and pull over somewhere. I got off of the closest exit, and pulled over into a Maverick gas station parking lot.

I looked over to the highway where I had just been driving, seeing the sign saying:

You are now leaving San Bernardino County.

I was driving so fast that I left the county. I parked my car and slumped down in my seat. I threw my head back and screamed.

I was hysterical. I was crying harder than I knew was possible. I was panting like a dog, trying to take in a few deep breaths. 

I couldn't breathe, I couldn't think, I couldn't get that picture out of my head.

I probably looked like a mental case, sitting at a foreign gas station crying hysterically in my car. 

What did I do to deserve this?

I sat there in my car for I don't know how long. I had cried so hard that my body wouldn't even produce any more tears. My head throbbed, and I really needed a drink of water. I took a five dollar bill from my wallet and went into the gas station.

I walked to the back of the convenient store. I opened the sliding glass door and pulled out a liter bottle of water. I walked to the front counter, not even acknowledging all of the disapproving stares from strangers.

I waited in line and gave the cashier my money, getting my change and receipt, and walking out the door to my car. I got inside and opened the cap to my water.

I placed the bottle to my lips and nearly chugged half of it. Immediately the head throbs started to fade away. I screwed the cap back onto the bottle and started the engine once again. I ran my fingers through my hair and rubbed my eyes with closed fists.