Chapter Forty Three

Leah's POV:

What the fuck...

Halfway down the hallway to the exit, I realized that I had left my purse in Harley's hospital room.

"I'll meet you in the car," I nudged Nash. "I forgot my purse."

I turned around and headed back in the direction of Harley's room. I got to the door, and peered in through the small rectangular window. There I witnessed somebody strangling my best friend.

Not just somebody, I witnessed Hayden strangling my best friend.

Oh my god...

I froze in front of the door, my jaw still clung to the floor. I choked out a breath as I watched him release his hand from her throat and lean in to give her a kiss.

What...?

I was so confused. Why would he choke her and then kiss her? What was happening?

I saw Hayden say something to Harley, and then turn to leave the room. I nearly jumped out of my skin trying to back away from the door. There was no way I could make it to the end of the hall before he got to the door, so I decided to make it look like I was barely walking to her room.

I made it about ten feet down the hall before hearing the door open. I walked closer to the room as Hayden turned to face me.

"Oh, hey Hayden." I said, his eyes scanning me up and down.

"I thought you left." He spoke in a harsh tone.

I thought to myself about how pale my face must be. I was terrified, and I wasn't sure if I was hiding it well.

"I did," I scratched the back of my neck. "I was on my way out when I realized that I left my purse in her room." I was trying so hard to keep my voice from cracking.

Hayden pursed his lips and started walking towards the exit. As he passed me, he reached over and pinched my butt.

Ew.

I swallowed hard before entering Harley's room. I couldn't let her know what I just saw.

"Leah?" Her voice was low and shaky.

"Hey, sorry. I know you're supposed to be getting some rest. I forgot my purse." I pointed to the corner where I was sitting once before.

"It's okay," Harley closed her eyes tightly and gripped onto the railing of her bed. I picked up my purse and slung it over my shoulder.

"Okay. Are you alright?" I asked hesitantly. I didn't want to seem suspicious.

"Yeah," She coughed. "I've just got a headache."

I wanted so badly to just cry into her arms and ask her why Hayden would do such a thing.

What scares me most is that I've thought of Hayden as an older brother figure the closer that I've gotten to him.

It scares me that someone that I have full trust in would be capable of harming someone so innocent.

What could Harley have done to blow his temper so much that he'd start to choke her?

What is going on?

"Okay. I'll tell the nurses to bring you a bottle of water on my way out. Get some rest." She nodded to me as I headed for the door.

After leaving the room, I leaned against the door. I took a few deep breaths and wiped away the tears spilling from my eyes with the palm of my hand.