Chapter 6

Chapter 6

It was late when Khushi came back home. Through the windows she could see, that the lights were still on and she was afraid to walk inside, because her Amma told her not to come too early home. She didn't want to upset her family but standing outside her home wasn't an an option because of their neighbors.

Arnav's proposal was still in her head and she asked herself why he wanted to marry her? What was his intention? Was it love? Does he really love her and why? Why does he have feelings for her? She opened the door silently in hope that her family went to sleep and just let lights on for her. How nice would it be, if her family would do something so simple and still so caring for her. Her heart started to beat faster because of this nice and warm thought and her hopes for a positive future with her family.

Maybe they are sorry for their words? Maybe her Amma was worried where she was? Maybe she should come earlier back?

She opened the door with one very hopeful smile on her lips and was surprised to find her Babuji, Amma and Payal sitting in the living room. She saw tears in Payal's eyes and even her Amma's eyes were red. Her smile was away immediately by seeing her sister and mother in this state. She runned to them and stood there trying hard to find right explanation for being so late, but was interrupted by Payal's words.

***

>>Great, now I have to see her face. Why is God so cruel to me? What did I do wrong?<<

Payal stood up and walked to her room, smashing the door behind herself. Khushi gazed at the closed door of Payal's room with shocked expression. She was just about to run behind her when she felt one firm touch on her arm.

>>Don't you dare to bother her now! Don't you even dare to walk in her room.<<

Khushi look to side direct in her Amma's eyes.

The groom and his family picked one of the neighbors daughters and the wedding is in few weeks.<<

Khushi looked still in her eyes not realizing what her Amma said. Her mother's words just won't make any sense.

Garima on the other side became impatient, turned Khushi so that she stood in front of her and shook her on her arms.

>>Stupid girl, don't you understand? They took Naina Nair. Daughter of our Neighbour. Aaditya Nair's daughter. The family on the other side of the road.<<

Khushi looked down on the floor ashamed, now fully realizing what that meant for Paya. What this news meant for her whole family. She wanted to apologize and comfort her mother but her Amma continue with her speech and shattered with every said word, Khushi's fragile heart.

>>Don't dare to walk to my Payal and show her your face! You remain her on her loss. Stay away.<<

Garima left Khushi's arm and walked into Payal's room leaving her unwanted daughter behind.

Khushi was still looking down on the floor, when her Babuji walked by her to reach his own bedroom. Usually, he was the one who has always a nice word for his second daughter. He was always concerned about her wellbeing and never held his comforting words back, when it came to Khushi. Now his concern changed into pure ignorance and Khushi missed the old Babuji already. She wanted her old family back but didn't know how to make it happen that everyone is happy again.

>>Babuji?<<

Not thinking about the possible reaction the words wanted to left her mouth. This was her Babuji. Her best friend. The men who always has an advice, when she needed it. She can't lose her Babuji, because he wasn't just a father figure. He was her friend. Her hero. He saved her.