Chapter 36

"Dear Mr. Potter," Harry read aloud from the letter that had been dropped on his plate at breakfast, "Please be at the expected platform between muggle platforms 9 and 10 on September first to catch the arrival of the Hogwarts train. Enclosed are a list of items you will need for the upcoming school year. We look forward to seeing you return to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry this autumn. Sincerely, Minerva McGonagall Headmistress of Hogwarts,"

Harry sighed and watched as a second owl dropped another letter in front of him. Harry picked up the paper from the oatmeal bowl it had landed in and tore that open as well.

"Dear Mr. Scamander," he read just under his breath "Please be at the expected platform between muggle platforms 9 and 10 on September first to catch the arrival of the Hogwarts train. Enclosed are a list of items you will need for the upcoming school year. We look forward to seeing you return to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry this autumn. Sincerely, Minerva McGonagall Headmistress of Hogwarts,"

Harry looked across the table at the two house elves that sat across from him.

"They want Caleb Scamander to attend Hogwarts," he gasped, throwing the second letter on the table.

"What?" Lawrence asked in shock "How would that work?"

"I don't know," Harry said.

"You can't be two places at once," Little Demetry exclaimed.

Harry frowned and stared into his bowl of food.

"How many more days till Newt gets back," Harry asked.

"Three days, Master Potter," Lawrence replied sullenly.

"And Cadence is?"

"Still ill, Master Harry," Demetry supplemented.

Harry frowned and threw his spoon in his bowl. He leaned far back in his chair and thought for a few moments. Harry looked up at Lawrence, and then at Demetry.

Demetry had become a very fitting house elf the last two weeks and wore his uniform well. Harry had designed it himself. The house elf wore a simple black dress shirt and black dress pants as well as glossy black shoes. They were made for toddlers going to a wedding but Harry didn't mind. The elf had a gold handkerchief in his shirt pocket and beamed with pride every time he wore the (rather inexpensive) muggle suit. Harry had taken his own design that had a hand bearing a whip with a cross over it, surrounded it with the pattern of snakes and made the background gold. Harry had learned from Lawrence that the original owners of the house elves were the ones who designed their uniforms. Most wizarding families had used pillowcases and potato sacks when their line started due to it not costing as much. Lawrence also revealed to Harry that there was no possible way to update the original uniforms since to present a house elf would be seen as a sign of freedom.
Harry sighed and straightened the light blue tie he had strung round his neck and made sure his nice shoes were tightly tied.  He stood straight and grimaced lightly. A glint of light came from his bag from nearby. With purpose Harry marched across the room.  Roughly, Harry pulled the zipper on his pack closed and threw it over his shoulder.
"Demetry," Harry said, his face pulling into a frown.

"Yes, Master Harry?" The small elf asked, popping into the room.

Harry looked over at the painting on the bedroom wall nearby and grimaced lightly. Newt, Cadence and Harry sat smiling in the frame, looking at each other and laughing over some unspoken joke.  Harry frowned and turned his attention back onto the elf.

"I'm ready to go to Diagon Alley now," he said, taking the small elf's hand in his own.

With a painful stab in his heart Harry disappeared from the manor and Harry went to do his school shopping alone.