Christmas night

When Cadence finally did return to the manor it was already midnight. He paused at the tree to look at the presents underneath and cocked his head to the side wondering why Harry hadn't opened them yet. Cadence rubbed at the sore knots in his neck and continued his way into the heart of the house, mud falling from his heavy boots. His pants were stained with blood, his shirt torn down the front from what looked like a cutting hex. He winced with every step, dark blood gushing from a large wound in his side. It looked like a chunk of his ribs were ripped from him with a lashing. He stumbled to his room only stopping for a moment to look at Harry's sleeping form from the hallway. Black hair ruffled against the pillows and blankets pulled over his nose. Cadence frowned and slowly slid the door closed. A soft Click accompanied by green eyes snapping open.
Harry listened as footsteps faded down the hall, the tangy scent of iron still cursing the air. Wherever Cadence had been he had not been alone. Whatever he had been doing must have been important enough to miss Christmas. Newt still remained somewhere within the property, of that Harry was certain. The question remains as to where exactly the man was. Harry had only seen him twice since his original arrival a year beforehand.
Harry turned over in bed and stared at the ceiling. He was alone for most of his time in the manor. The only times he saw other humans was during his training sessions, or when his therapist came to visit. It was almost suffocating how utterly and completely desolate he was in the reserve. When he asked any questions the only answer he got was 'you will understand some day' but Harry was starting to question when that someday would be.
Why were they training? Who were they training to fight against? Why were people after them? Why were people always leaving? Where were they going? Where did Cadence go so often?
So many difficult questions that he was no closer to answering. Harry wished he had someone to talk to. He watched as a white feather floated above his head, glistening in the moonlight. He missed Hedwig. He missed his friends. He missed school. He missed Hogwarts.