Chapter 43

Harry sighed and turned in his bed to face the small house elf who was sharing his pillow.

The night had long been filled with festivities. Several new students had joined the Hufflepuff class and like they had done when Harry was sorted the Hufflepuff class threw a large party in celebration and spent hours well into the night playing party games and getting to know the new students. It had been a long standing tradition that had lasted since the very first group of Hufflepuffs that had been sorted into Hogwarts. Harry had appreciated the efforts of the older classmates upholding the tradition when he had been sorted and so he knew the new students would appreciate it in their first years and as time went by it would soon become his turn to uphold the Hufflepuff standards.

Hannah had given him the cold shoulder the entire night, but he figured whatever was bothering her would soon go away and the girl would return to normal.

Luna had been sorted into Ravenclaw and Ginny Weasley had been sorted into Gryffindor.

Harry briefly said Hello to Ginny before rushing over to Luna to congratulate her. He didn't know why but he felt closer to the girl than anyone else. Even closer than Draco or Neville. Around Luna he didn't have to explain things to her, nor did he have to keep things from her. She simply just knew somehow what he was thinking and when.

"Harry," Luna had said, as the students were finishing their desserts and gathering their things.

"Yes?" He asked.

"You've forgotten something you were going to bring to school," she replied in that mysteriously delicate voice of hers.

"No, I haven't," Harry said, tensing immensely.

"Then why does that man keep staring at you?" Luna asked, pointing to the corner of the room behind Harry.

The boy turned in his seat to look at the direction she was pointing. A dark shadow of a silhouette was on the wall staring at him with a disapproving glare. It had no face yet harry could tell it was angry at him. The room dropped several degrees as it noticed that harry was watching. The shadow stuck up it's middle finger at him and melted into the floorboards.

"I'm not bringing it here!" Harry hissed in it's direction.

The shadow lifted it's hand back into view and flipped him off once more. Luna giggled and took a bite of chocolate pudding.

"I do so wonder why the shadows are angry at you, Harry Potter," Luna giggled.

Harry turned to smile at the small blonde, avoiding the confused look of students around them.

"Professor Dumbledore wants me to tell you to see him at midnight to discuss Caleb Scamander,"  Luna said, looking up at Harry.

"When did he tell you that?" Harry asked, tensing again.

"Just now," Luna replied.

The students around them began to stand up and form into groups. Luna smiled and joined them.

"If I were you," Luna said softly "I'd be careful. There are shadows everywhere,"

Harry frowned and felt a chill go up his back as Luna skipped off into the crowd.

Harry sighed and stared at the ceiling above his bed. Ten more minutes and it would be time to go to the headmaster's office.

Nine more minutes.

Eight.

Seven.

Six.

Five.

Four.

Three

Two

Harry got out of bed and tugged his slippers and robe on in a rush before running out of the Hufflepuff common room. He crawled through the opening to the secret hidden entrance and ran to up several stairs before leaning over to pant heavily. A familiar portrait from the previous year peered at the boy through the frame.

"Hello, Mr. Potter," he said with a smile. "It's a pleasure to see you've run into me again."

Harry coughed harshly into his arm before looking up at the red haired man holding a suitcase.

"Hello again," Harry replied.

"How are you lad?" the portrait asked with a smile. "Bit late for a stroll isn't it?"

Harry smiled lightly and panted some more.

"It was more like a run if you ask me," Harry replied.

"I see," the painting said "was something chasing you?"

"No, I've to meet with the headmaster," Harry responded "and I was rushing to get there."

"Ah so  it is an exact recreation," the painting said with a smile, "do say hello to Albus for me, won't you lad?"

"I will," Harry said "I've forgotten to ask your name,"

"Oh, and I've forgotten to give it," The skinny man said with a smack to his head "I do apologize. My name is Scamander, Newt Scamander."

Harry laughed and turned to fully look at the portrait.

"Why so you are!" Harry replied with a smile "I never would have guessed. Do you know who you are talking to?"

"Harry Potter," Newt replied, an unsure smile across his face.

"Your adopted son," Harry whispered, "Of course no one knows that, I usually hide my identity and go by Caleb Scamander these day's."

"What-" Newt said, surprise flitting across his face "No, Harry I assure you that's quite imposs-"

"I'm sorry, Dad," Harry cut him off "But I've really got to go, the headmaster is waiting for me,"

"Harry wait," Newt called out, fear and shock glued to his face.

"I'm sorry," Harry responded starting to jog off.

"Harry don't!" Newt ran after him, jumping from portrait to portrait and knocking people and things over as he went.

"I'm sorry," Harry responded, ducking through the gargoyle door nearby.

"HARRY POTTER!" Newt yelled, with all his strength "YOU COME BACK HERE NOW!"

Harry's head ducked out from under the Gargoyle's wing and he smiled at the portrait.

"Sorry, Dad!" he called before disappearing from view.