*Chapter One*

**WARNING!!!! This is a SEQUEL! Please read my first book, Inevitable, before reading this one!!**

We never had to force love. We were drowning in it the moment we met.

 We were drowning in it the moment we met

"Welcome to New Orleans, our love" 

Claire practically presses her face against the tinted window of the limo as they passed the 'Welcome to New Orleans' sign. Her eyes absorbed everything she could see. She instantly liked the city more than Mystic Falls. She believes it to be far more beautiful, far more alive. She briefly wonders what it looked like when her mates arrived for the first time.

"How much further?" Claire asked not able to tear her eyes away from the scenery.

"Not much, just a little further. The plantation is just on the outskirts." Klaus informs her. Claire nods finally able to look away. Her eyes instantly go to her daughter. The five-year-old is curled in Elijah's lap, out like a light.

Madelyn Mikaelson. Claire always smiled in amusement whenever she thought about how Madelyn got their last name before she did. Her mates had come to her not long after they left Mystic Falls wanting to adopt Madelyn and have her bear their name. Claire instantly agreed.

After watching her daughter sleep for a few moments, her eyes downcast to her hand. Her left hand, where her engagement ring hugged her finger. It's only been a couple of weeks since they proposed. They waited until she had graduated and she instantly gave them a tearful yes.

Claire had just wrapped her head around the fact that she's getting married when she ran into a pair of witches. They were sisters. The run-in was innocent enough until they received a letter about a week later from the same witches saying that they need to come to New Orleans, that it was of utmost importance. 

Her mates weren't interested until Claire noticed something along with the letter. A picture of a man. He was smiling brightly with his friends in the center of the city. On the back, it said 'King of the French Quarter'. When Claire pointed it out, it instantly got their attention.

Marcellus Gerard is a vampire Klaus had sired during his time in New Orleans. He was a slave boy that fought back when being whipped. His display of courage and strength caught Klaus's eye. From that day on, Klaus took him under his wing. Klaus treated him like a son until the day Klaus thought Marcel had died, the day Mikael found them and forced them to flee.

Not wanting to stay in McKinley any longer Claire suggested that they go to New Orleans. That they see what the Deveraux sisters wanted, see the great city of New Orleans and get acquainted with their so-called 'king'.

Claire didn't know what New Orleans had in store for herself and her family but the new adventure made her excited. She remembered craving a normal life once and she had it, for about a semester of college. She enjoyed the simplicity at first but then grew bored with the repetition. Though, she would rather have the boring repetition than the possible danger.