*Chapter Forty Two* {Every Mother's Son}

"You should be sleeping," Kol speaks up from the threshold of the room

"You should be sleeping," Kol speaks up from the threshold of the room. Claire doesn't tear her gaze away from her daughter. Kaylin coos from inside the crib twitching slightly in response to whatever she's dreaming.

Kol steps into the room and doesn't stop until his chest presses against her back. His arm wraps around her chest and the other around her waist. Claire sighs leaning back into him, her hands raising to rest on his arms.

"I wonder what she sees at night," Claire whispers.

"Rainbows and unicorns," Kol whispers back bringing a smile to Claire's face. "She's safe, Angel," He tenderly kisses the side of her head. "Come back to bed. She'll be waking you up soon enough," Claire lets out a small laugh knowing he's right. "You need your sleep,"

Turning in his arms, Claire nuzzles her head into his shoulder. She hugs his waist tightly. He leans his head against hers, his eyes gazing toward her daughter. He briefly wonders what it would have been like had Theodore lived. He smiles sorrowfully at the memories he never got to make, the memories he merely believe would have happened.

"Come on," Kol whispers leading her back to there room where they gain a few more hours of sleep. When they wake, Claire goes to tend to her daughter while Kol goes down to the main floor where he sees his brothers.

"Where's Claire?" Elijah asked having spotted him first.

"Checking on Kaylin," Kol says walking towards them. "What's wrong?" He asks sensing something is off. "Who cooked all of this?" He wonders seeing various breakfast dishes, a feast. Elijah hands him a piece of paper.

'Dinner, Your Home, 8 P.M'

"An invitation from our mother," Klaus tells him before walking away from his brothers to see his fiancé and daughter. "Motherhood always did suit you," Klaus says walking into the room. Claire looks up from her spot on the rocking chair. 

"What's wrong?" Claire asks picking up on the subtle hits of unease in his expression. Klaus smiles admiring her ability to read not only himself, but the people around her, so well.

"My mother contacted us," Klaus tells her. Claire instantly stands, cradling Kaylin closer to her chest. "It's alright, there's no danger," He soothes closing the distance between the two. His eyes look towards Kaylin. His lifts his hand and gently caresses his daughters head.

"What does she want?" She asks apprehensively. Klaus's eyes flicker to hers.

"Dinner," He answers simply. "She left a note saying she will be here at 8, even left a plethora of food in the dinning room,"

"Is it safe?" Claire couldn't help but to ask. Klaus smiles and nods kissing her forehead.

"Why don't you get something to eat? I'll get her ready for the day," Claire relents and hands their daughter to him. He gently takes her, cooing when she wiggles and whimpers at the sudden movement. Claire grins watching her daughter settle in his arms.