*Chapter Six*

"What if they don't like me?" Madelyn mumbled standing in front of the school building

"What if they don't like me?" Madelyn mumbled standing in front of the school building. Today is the day Madelyn starts school as a kindergartner and she's not the only one that's nervous. Claire wasn't completely sure if this as the right decision. She knew Madelyn needed to socialize and make friends but she's more vulnerable out in the open compared to the safety of the plantation.

"How could they not like you?" Claire smiled kneeling in front of her. "You're amazing. You'll make plenty of friends and have a great time."

"But I don't want to be here" Madelyn pouted. "I want to go home. I want to be with you and my Papa's."

"Mommy and Papa's are going to be busy during the day," Claire explained to her. "You're going to come here while we're doing boring adult stuff," Claire said tickling Madelyn. The 5-year-old giggled lightly. "While we're doing boring stuff, you're going to do activities and make friends. You're going to have fun. Have I ever lied to you?" Claire asked tucking some of her daughter's hair behind her ear.

"No" Madelyn whispered looking down at her feet a small smile coming to her lips. Claire smiles and pulls her into a hug. Madelyn gripped her tightly.

"Then trust me, Mad-Cat" Claire pleaded. "You're going to like it here." Claire slowly pulls away. "You're my brave girl aren't you?" Claire smiles. Madelyn nodded quickly. "I love you and I'm very proud of you" Claire kisses her forehead. "You got this, baby girl" Claire whispers before turning Madelyn towards the door to the school. "I will be here to pick you up and hear all about your day."

"Promise?" Madelyn asked looking back at Claire. Claire grins and nods kissing the top of her head before standing up. "I got this" Madelyn whispered before slowly walking towards the school. She turned back to Claire before entering. Claire smiles and waves. Madelyn waves back before walking inside. 

Claire takes a deep breath before going over to the car and slipping inside. Claire didn't want to take the limo, she wanted a regular car so that Madelyn wouldn't be judged by the older kids. She wanted Madelyn to blend in though everything about her stood out, to Claire at least. But perhaps that's because Madelyn is her daughter and she'll always hold her above the other children at the school.

Klaus instantly takes her hand as she sits beside him. All of her mates were in the large car. They had all wanted to see Madelyn off. They had each given Madelyn their encouragement before giving Claire a moment with her alone.

"She's going to be fine" Klaus reassures her. "She's going to love it here, it's one of the best schools in New Orleans."

Kol reaches over and kisses her head. Claire had climbed over Klaus to sit in the middle between the two of them. Elijah is in the driver seat with Finn beside him while Henrik is in the very back where Madelyn had sat with him.

"She'll be safe, Elskan." Elijah comforts her. He makes eye contact with her through the rearview mirror. Claire gives him a small smile and a nod.