*Chapter Eighteen* [The List]

"Maddie, be careful!" Claire shouts running a restless hand through her hair

"I'm fine, mom!" Madelyn shouted back. Claire sighs hugging herself and shifting on her feet. Madelyn, the little knuckle head, knew exactly how to get exactly what she wanted. She knew Claire felt bad for missing their riding day and would do more things than normal to get back in her good graces. Madelyn gave Claire a list of terms Claire would have to meet to settle things between the two of them.

1. Ice Cream for breakfast for two days.

2. Stay up past bed time, up to an hour, for a week.

3. She gets to ride Rocket.

Originally, before Claire had 'left', Madelyn wanted to ride Snowball. Claire was now all for her riding Snowball but Madelyn upgraded. Rocket isn't old nor docile like Snowball. He's fast, strong and can be temperamental. He's not as big as Snowball but more difficult to deal with.

"Maddie, you have 5 more minutes!" Claire shouted. She knew Madelyn heard her but the 5-year-old didn't respond. She was having the time of her life, grinning from ear to ear as she trots around the arena.

"I'd say you've definitely made it up to her" Elijah says coming to a stand beside her. "And then some" 

"I hope so" Claire whispers. "I couldn't take the silent treatment anymore" Madelyn had refused to talk to Claire for a couple of days. She missed the sound of her daughters voice, the sight of her bright smile and the warmth of her hugs.

"She's doing remarkably well for her age" Elijah notes pulling Claire into his embrace. He grins slightly as she relaxes against him. He kisses the top of her head, their eyes glued on Madelyn.

"She's only five and she's a better rider than I am" Claire says grinning proudly. "She seems to really enjoy it. I just wish she was more careful and not so head strong" Elijah laughs and rubs her back.

"So you wish she was less like you?" Elijah asks. Claire sighs leaning more into his embrace.

"None of our children are going to be easy are they?" Claire whispers. Elijah laughs and shakes his head.

"I'm afraid not, Elskan" He replies to her. "But I can promise you that it will not be boring" Claire smiles and glances up at him.

"I love you" She whispers. He meets her gaze and presses their foreheads together.

"I love you more" He mutters kissing her lightly. She smiles enjoying the soft kiss before pulling away. Her eyes return to Madelyn. She stops Rocket by them and looks at Elijah.

"Papa my butt hurts" She pouted.

"Well, we can't have that now can we?" He asks and she shakes her head with a mischievous grin. "Why don't we go put Rocket away and then we can make some pizza" He winks at her.