*Chapter Fifty*

"Your real father," Esther tells him

"Your real father," Esther tells him. "Along with a man named Noah South... I'm sure you'll find them lurking around here somewhere,"

Esther's words cloud Klaus's mind. He wondered if his mother spoke the truth. A small part of him wanted her words to be true but he knew he shouldn't trust her. She could be sending him on a wild goose chase. 

"Niklaus, what are we doing?" Elijah questions, bringing his brother from his troublesome thoughts. The two had been wondering through New Orleans without a word spoken between them for nearly an hour. It didn't take a genius to sense Klaus's mind is elsewhere.

"Spending quality time together, thought you'd be pleased," Klaus jests, a sly smirk on his lips but Elijah sees through it. 

"You've been distant," Elijah notes. "Absent in your duties,"

"What? You can't handle our city on your own for a few days?" Klaus muses. "In case it's escaped your mind, there are three other kings and a queen," 

"And they've all been doing their part along with yours," Elijah says. "We can manage but we're stronger with you," Klaus spares him a glance. "We're stronger when we work together, not apart. I don't know what you've been doing but you're going to have to tell us eventually," Klaus breathes heavily through his nose.

"Esther's been... talking," Klaus tells him.

"Spewing lies, I assume," Elijah comments. Klaus doesn't answer. "What has she been telling you?" Klaus slowly comes to a stop forcing the humans on the street to walk around the brothers.

"She told me Aaron and Theodore are on the Other Side and there might be a way to bring them back," Klaus confesses. Elijah stares at him, his mouth slightly agape. "And that my father and Noah have escaped from the Other Side,"

"Mikael?" Elijah questions, frowning his eyebrows.

"My real father," Klaus tells him. Elijah runs a hand over his lips and across his jaw. "That's what we're doing, we're looking for them," Klaus explains, walking down the street once more. Elijah stands still for a moment before following after him. Neither brother noticing the shadow that had been following them up until this moment. Neither of them noticing the speeding figure heading straight for the Abattoir. 

"Why have you kept this to yourself?" Elijah wonders.

"Why should I force Claire and Kol to go through the heart break again if Esther speaks lies?" Klaus questions, him. "I've asked the coven to find a way to the truth before bringing it up,"

"And?"

"And they've brought in an old acquaintance," Klaus informs him, a small smirk on his lips. "Jeremy Gilbert," Elijah arches an eyebrow. "He has a way with the Other Side in case you forgot,"

"I haven't," Elijah tells him. "Has he found anything?"

"Not to my knowledge," Klaus grumbles. "I hope to have an answer when we return," Elijah hums, slipping deep into his mind. He follows Klaus through the city and towards the Bayou.