*Chapter Forty Three*

"Are these outfits really necessary?" Klaus grumbles readjusting the collar to his suit

"I hate to say this, believe me I do, but I'm with Nik on this one," Kol says gaining more than one interesting looks. "Why should we dress up for the woman who not only tried to kill us on multiple occasions but our mate, as well" He growls buttoning his jacket.

"Appearance is a way of showing respect," Elijah strains barely able to accept that their mother is alive and coming into their home. "Mother will be more likely to surrender her true intentions,"

"Well, I doubt her guard will drop just cause we're dressed like bloody lawyers," Klaus grumbles. Kol nods in agreement.

"We need every advantage we can get, Niklaus," Elijah exasperates.

"You always did excel in diplomacy," Klaus complements. "Just know, if she tries anything, I'll tear her new body to pieces,"

"If you can get to her first," Kol smirks at the idea of fighting his brother for the ability to kill their mother first.

"If you do kill her, make sure you kill her somewhere where it's easy to clean... I'd hate to see you two stay up all night cleaning blood out of carpet," Claire says joining them with a playful grin. 

"You look stunning," Henrik says instantly appearing in front of her. She smiles, her shoulders visibly relaxing. She raises her hands and gently straightens his tie.

"Thank you," She whispers softly. "And you look extremely handsome," She purrs lifting her gaze to meet his. She kisses his cheek lightly, leaving a slight smudge of red lipstick before moving around him. "I just got off the phone with my mom, Madelyn wanted to say goodnight before she went to sleep. She told me that she wants you to take her and her friends to the market tomorrow," Claire tells Klaus.

"An afternoon watching after children that aren't even mine," Klaus rolls his eyes not talking about Madelyn, seeing as he considers her very much his own daughter, but her rather pesky young friends.

"You're the one who promised her that you would do something fun with her," Claire grins towards him. He releases a slow breath already feeling a headache form. Claire giggles at her mates obvious distress. She gently presses her hand to his chest before leaning over to kiss his cheek. "It'll be alright, you've survived worse,"

"I have survived a lot, but an afternoon with a group of 6 year old's is a completely different task with a much lower survival rate," Claire laughs again shaking her head.

"You won't be alone, I'm sure if you ask one of your brother's they'll go with you," Claire turns her head only to be reminded by how fast vampire move as they disappear into different rooms of the house. "Well, then," She whispers shaking her head. "Perhaps you'll have better luck with the hybrids,"

"How about you?" Klaus asks grabbing her hand. He lifts it and twirls her around, the ends of her dress fanning out before resting against her legs once more.