*Chapter Thirty Three*

"Elijah, what is this?" Claire ask circling around a shirtless Elijah

"Elijah, what is this?" Claire ask circling around a shirtless Elijah. While she usually enjoys him shirtless this time there's names on his skin.

"I need you to make a list of these names" Elijah tells her. Claire nods finding a notepad and pen. "I believe they represent the names of the women Celeste inhabited for the past two centuries"

"It's called a Devinette" Marcel says walking into the room. Claire spares him a glance. "It's old school. Kind of a riddle. Witches use them to teach their kids. Solve it and it disappears"

"Why? What's the point?" Claire asks wincing slightly as the pain in her chest begins to get worse. Elijah frowns noticing it. His desperation to find Klaus increases.

"Celeste forced me to make a choice between yourself and my siblings, and now she means to mock that choice, taunting me with a childish game. The longer the game, the more they suffer, the more you suffer" He whispers reaching out towards her.

"Don't worry about me, Elijah" Claire says leaning into his touch. "Whatever I'm feeling isn't near the suffering they are" She tells him. He sighs and kisses her forehead.

"To find Niklaus and Rebekah, we need to solve this riddle. The solution lies somewhere in these names" Elijah explains.

"Annie La Fleur" Marcel reads. "She's the witch that was shunned from her coven just over a year ago. Never knew why, but I can find out" Marcel say leaving the room.

"I'm going to go with him, stay here please" Elijah whispers caressing her face.

"Be careful, Elijah" She pleads. "I want to find Klaus just as much as you do but I don't want to lose you in the process"

"You won't, I'm not going anywhere" He promises kissing her forehead before leaving.

"How are you feeling?" Henrik asks coming into the room. She smiles and gravitates towards him. "How's Madelyn?" He asks.

"She didn't get much sleep last night," Claire tells him. "She knows something is wrong and is worried about Klaus. She keeps asking for him since he's the only one of her father's that isn't around right now" 

While Rebekah is missing as well, Madelyn is used to Rebekah being gone while Klaus is always around. It's only natural for her to notice Klaus's absence rather than  Rebekah's.

"She's taking a nap with Caroline right now." Henrik sits on the couch along the wall and pulls her into his lap. She curls into his chest as best as she could with her stomach.

They sit in silence for a few moments before she gasps out painfully. Henrik's grip on her tightens in concern. She whimpers and clings to him tightly. He asks her what's wrong but she can't answer because she's not sure, all she knows is that it has to do with Klaus.

"Try not to focus on the pain" Henrik tells her.

"Easier said than done" Claire mumbles. He smiles and kisses her head.