*Chapter Thirty Five* {The Big Uneasy}

*This is a pretty short, sorry but I'll make the next one longer*

"Klaus?" Claire mumbles waking up. Her hand reaches for him but only feels empty bed space. 

"I'm over here, love" Klaus says quietly. Claire rubs her eyes slightly before opening them. She looks around the room and finds Klaus by a canvas with paint all around him.

"You're up early" She comments shifting around for a better position.

"The morning sun offers the best light" He tells her with a small smile. She smiles back watching him drag the brush across the canvas. "I'm almost finished"

"Well, hurry, the bed is far too cold without you" She whispers. His grin deepens as he tries to focus on finishing the painting. "You look happy"

"I am happy" Klaus tells her. "It's a quiet morning and I can feel a shift in the air" He says.

"Oh, really?" Claire asks shifting her head on the pillow.

"Your display of power at the party was beautifully done" Klaus says proudly. "I couldn't have done it better myself"

"I got tired of all the stepping around," She shrugs. "There were so many people conspiring against us. Plotting against us. I don't want to live my life, I don't want our family and our children to live their lives wondering when someone is gonna attack us"

"Well, if anyone tries anything now, they'll be utterly stupid" Klaus says. She smiles at him. "I do believe you have won over the survivors loyalty,"

"I never wanted to force their loyalty like that" Claire whispers.

"Sometimes you don't have a choice" Klaus tells her gently. "You handled it beautifully"

"The remaining werewolves, where are they?" Claire asks.

"There's not many of them" Klaus informed her. "But I talked with them before retiring for the night. I gave them the option to become hybrids or to live the rest of their days out in the bayou" 

"And?" Claire asks knowing there was more. Klaus smiles slightly enjoying how well she knows him.

"And I may have asked a few vampires to keep an eye on the werewolves who decided to return to the bayou" He tells her. "I don't exactly trust them to keep to their word about not causing any trouble"

"Although I doubt they have the numbers to do anything, it's good to take precautions" Claire nods. He grins at her.

"Exactly, glad you see it my way" Klaus says with slight smugness. Claire smiles and rolls her eyes at him.

"Are you done? I don't know how much longer my bladder is going to hold" Klaus smiles and nods. He speeds over to her and gently grabs her hands. She grips onto him as she climbs out of bed.

Klaus leaves her to get cleaned up for the day. Once she was ready she wanders over to Madelyn's room. It was still early in the morning, Claire doubted that she'd be awake at this hour. Hell, Claire wished she wasn't awake but now that she's up she knew she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. Especially with a bouncing baby in her stomach.