*Chapter Thirty Eight* {Daughter}

*This chapter took FOREVER!*

"I have to admit, Claire, you don't look like you just gave birth," Vanessa smirks from her position on the floor

"I have to admit, Claire, you don't look like you just gave birth," Vanessa smirks from her position on the floor. She sits, leaning against the wall. Her wrists shackled as if it they were living during medieval times instead of modern. However, the shackles prevented her from using magic, so they weren't just to make her uncomfortable.

While Claire is the only person Vanessa can see, the witch is smart enough to know they aren't alone. She knows somewhere in the shadows is one, if not more, of the Mikaelson's. Vanessa knew they wouldn't allow Claire to be anywhere near her without some sort of protection.

Despite only having just given birth a few hours earlier, Claire looked completely normal. She wore jeans with an elastic waist, a simple blouse along with a jacket. Her hair was pulled out of her face with her hair tie.

"Did everything go alright?" Vanessa questions tilting her head. Claire continues to stand in front of her, under the dim light, with an unamused expression. "Was it a boy or girl?" Claire doesn't answer. "They healthy? No abnormal heart defects? No sudden stillborn-ness or miscarriage?" Vanessa pesters. "I'm genuinely curious about the well being of the child, out of all your pregnancies you only have one success... supposedly."

"I'm not here to talk about my child," Claire finally speaks up.

"Oh? Then what are you here for? Wanna catch up? We used to be besties" Vanessa smirks. "Wanna talk about boys? How's my ex doing?" Vanessa pokes.

"Just fine without you, found someone better" Claire informs her.

"Oh, I know" Vanessa chuckles. "I have to say, I don't know if I should be offended or pleased that the person he goes out with after me is a guy" Vanessa says with frowning her eyebrows and pressing her lips together. "I mean, was I so bad that he abandoned women all together? Or was I enough to show him that he liked sticks instead of holes?" 

"It had nothing to do with you," Claire tells her. "Actually, you haven't really been a thought in his mind since before you supposedly came back from the dead" Claire shrugs. "You haven't really been on anyone's mind, we practically forgot about you" Vanessa rolls her eyes and clenches her jaw causing Claire to smirk.

There's one thing Claire knows about Vanessa. The witch loves to be the center of attention. She craves the spotlight. Being told that she was forgotten entirely is enough to get under her skin.

"You know, locking someone up and torturing them" Vanessa 'tsks' while slowly shaking her head. "Have to say, not your style... You're more of the, suck the life out of someone while in a fit of rage"

"You're right" Claire nods. "Torturing isn't my style but you have information I want and I thought I'd ask before I resorted to allowing my fiance to torture" Claire tells her. "Now, you can answer my questions and die swiftly, or play around and prolong the inevitable"