*Chapter Nine*

"Here" Caroline mutters handing Claire a hot chocolate

"Here" Caroline mutters handing Claire a hot chocolate. Claire smiles brightly at her sister. The two of them sit in rocking chairs on the back patio of the plantation. 

They can hear the hybrids mingling with themselves, keeping each other busy as it's too early for any of them to sleep. Claire could easily hear Archie amongst them, he's become very popular among the hybrids. 

"I'm happy you're here," Claire said looking at her.

"I should have been here sooner" Caroline gave her a stern look. Claire smiles and looks down at her drink. She swirls the liquid in her cup.

"If it wasn't for Asher and Bonnie's constant pestering, you wouldn't know," Claire told her in a hushed whisper.

"Why?" Caroline asked gently. "Why are you so adamant about keeping me away?" Claire clenches her jaw and screws her eyes shut. One of the things she hated about being pregnant, she felt as if she had the enhanced emotions of a vampire. "Claire-" Caroline whispers grabbing her hand.

Claire quickly stands up and moves away from her sister. Caroline sighs and sets her own drink down. Her eyes follow Claire as she paces before leaning against one of the pillars. It's obvious Claire is struggling to hold it together and it broke Caroline's heart.

"I don't feel... in control anymore" Claire whispers. Caroline frowns her eyebrows and stands up. "Before coming here I've always felt that I had at least one hand on the steering wheel in my life, that I had some kind of control no matter how little it was. Now... I just feel... powerless" She whispers.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" Caroline asks softly as she leans against the pillar beside her. Claire looks at her with tears in her eyes.

"I'm scared, Caroline" She whispers with a broken smile. "I'm fucking terrified." She corrects her self with a laugh. 

She looks out into the property. She liked where they lived. She liked the smell of the horses. She liked looking out and see them grazing in the pasture. She liked hearing the hybrids having a good time. It helped calm her, however, tonight felt different.

She felt the gates that held the pain, stress, worry, and fear she had locked up open wide despite how hard she tries to keep them closed. She blames Caroline, her sister always had a unique way of getting to what Claire is truly feeling. Claire wipes away a stray tear, trying to keep it together. 

"This place, it's not safe," Claire whispers hanging her head shamefully. "Not in the slightest. No matter how many hybrids we have, no matter how hard we try to protect this place, to protect ourselves, I feel like it's all just an illusion." She pauses to take a deep yet shaky breath. "It was my decision to come here, I convinced everyone that it was a good idea. Now we're here and we haven't been safe since McKinley." Claire presses her lips together and shakes her head. She stands more on her feet and away from the pillow. She feels the anger surfacing and before she knew it she sent a punch to the pillar.